1⒉ Lacking a threat

"LEN!" I screamed in horror. I kneeled down next to him and shook his body frantically. I really thought I had lost him, but after a couple of seconds of shaking and screaming, I noticed him moving a bit and groaning.

"Len! Len, wake up, please!"

"Nnnngh... ugh..." He gradually opened his eyes, groaning, but it took some time until he was fully conscious.

I couldn't believe it. I thought he was dead for sure, but thank good, he's still alive. My incontrollable crying of terror turned into incontrollable sobbing of joy and relief. I hugged Len deeply while he was still gaining conscience and cried onto his shoulder.

"H-Hm? What...? Piko...?" I heard him mumble after a while. I released him from my embrace, stared at his confused face, only to hug him once more, being overjoyed by the fact that his eyes still bear life.

I explained, wailing. "I just found you! You were lying around here and I thought you were dead! I-I'm so glad you're alive..."

Perplexed, he patted my back while I embraced him. He waited for me to calm down and didn't ask any further questions.

"B-But... are you okay, are you hurt? Should I call an ambulance or something?" I finally asked. I totally forgot to ask an important question like this, being way too overwhelmed.

"Ah... I'm... I'm fine. My head kinda hurts, but it's okay, no need for an ambulance." He answered while stroking his hurting head.

"A-Are you really sure? It sounds rather serious! What even happened here?" I eyed his body thoroughly, and aside from the dirt on his skin, I couldn't see any injuries or blood anywhere, at least not immediately.

"It's really okay, I promise. Sorry for making you worry; I suppose I sure scared you."

"W-Why are you apologizing, it's not your fault you got... you got, uh... I don't know, what even happened to you?"

He thought about it few a moment. "I... I don't remember. I was just walking, and stuff, and... then I... woke up again. No idea what happened here."

Putting my finger to my thin, I pondered for a moment. "So, you don't know if you were, like... attacked or something?"

With an awkward smile, Len replied "Ah, surely I wasn't. It's all fine, trust me, I just tripped, probably."

It felt like a lie to me. Not just the gawky way he just acted, but also the fact that we were full on unconscious when I found him. And he claimed his head hurts as well. This does not look as if Len had only tripped.

"Well, we still need to call an ambulance, you are hurt! And also calling the police would probably be best, I don't think a little fall would end up like this." I yelled with a hoarse-sounding voice. Just thinking that he was possibly assaulted from behind, perhaps an attempted murder... it made tears fill up my eyes.

I just can't afford to lose another friend. It wouldn't be possible; the guilt would probably make me do horrible things to myself again. I don't want to risk Len's life, so we really need to make sure he is healthy and that we find out what happened here. Why is everything dear to me dying, or disappearing, or being attacked?

With all of these thoughts crashing though my mind, when Len insisted on him being totally okay, my hand went out of its way and slapped my friend across the face. Though kind of startled by what I had just done without realizing, I went on scolding him. "Listen. I can't understand why you are so relaxed about it, but please know that I am scared for your life. We might not know for sure, but I think it's likely you were indeed hit by someone, and I can't just keep watching the people around me dying any longer! I have a feeling you know that too, and you know that you were attacked. Why are you lying to me?"