13. Ford Capri MK 3

Start from the beginning

"I think I'll go home. Tell Diana that I was delighted to be here and to see her amazing paintings. I'm not feeling well, so I think I have to lie down. "

With a sad face, Alex just hugged me and said she understood. I said goodbye to the whole group and headed for the exit.

Harvey at the moment:

"Man, run after her, this is your fucking chance!" – Alex and Carrie convinced me to go after Lila and offer her a ride home.

"Look, the summer rain started. Go, fool! "– I listened to Carrie's orders and went after her.

She just stopped at the exit.

"I'll take you home."- I didn't ask her, I told her.

"It's not necessary, it will soon stop."

"Lila, please, my car's around the corner. Wait for me here. "

I didn't let her answer with some ridiculous excuse. I drove the car right in front of the door and honked it.

"Aghh, why did I straighten my hair today. Soon I'll look like a sheep. "

"I prefer your natural hair anyway." – She looked at me and smiled. I turned on the radio just so something was playing in the background. I was nervous. I didn't know why. It's not like we are first time alone.

"I didn't get a chance to ask you how you're feeling."

"Please, not you too. My mom could barely let me go to Alex's this afternoon. She was ringing over my head when I told her that I want to go to the exhibit. She almost didn't let me. I'm fine. "- she said quite furiously.

"Okay, okay. I'd better keep my mouth shut. "

"I think so too."

"Are you mad at me? What did I do? "

"It's not your fault. I'm tired of everything. From everything, Harvey. I just need a break."

"Hey, hey, calm down, I'm sorry. If you want, we can go to Nando's and eat something. You must be hungry, and I'm sure you'll sleep easier after. "

She had a long second thought, took her phone, typed something and said yes.

We arrived at the restaurant soon. I took some wings and some new gravy, and Lila order salad. As always. I remember her saying how she don't know how to eat something that big in public.

"So, what's bothering you, Lila?"

"Nothing bothers me. Besides my brother not answering and how I haven't had any explanation yet. He led me to such madness that I ended up in the hospital. Otherwise, really nothing. "

"It doesn't sound like nothing."

"I was being sarcastic, Harvey."

"Sorry, I wanted to make you laugh."

"You're not very good at it."

"Then we'll talk about happier subjects." - I said and changed the subject – "We tore up the show yesterday. It was a smaller gig, but we were full."

"I'm so glad. The band accepted you, and so did the audience. "

"Yup. It's like I was born under a lucky star. "– Only thing missing is her. But I didn't want to say it out loud.

She started talking about Ruby. She explained how they have a new dog and how her dad almost called him Gasoline but they managed to stop him. She was opening up slowly. I didn't want to mess anything up.

"Are you feeling a little better?"

"Yes, thank you. I'm just so full from all that salad. "

"How can you be full? It's just salad." – I started teasing her. - "Anyways, it's only nine o'clock. Should I give you a ride home or do you want to go back to the girls?"

"I'll ask them and see where they are. You gave me a little will to live with this food. Do you want to go to the pub, maybe they're there? "

I agreed, of course.

By the time we got to the pub and the group wasn't there, we decided to sit down anyway. She ordered her favorite beer. It was justified after a hectic week she had. I ordered the tea and I think the waitress was trying to kill me with a look because it was behind nine.

"I'm surprised she agreed to make tea so late."

"If I'm going to pay, she better."

I loved hearing her laugh. Sometimes she'll do it quietly, sometimes don't. And her hair was all curly by now.

"A little sweet sheep." – I got so into it, and it kind of slipped out. – "Oops, I didn't mean to say that out loud."

"Thank you very much. I warned you I'd be like a sheep. "

"Well, it looks really good on you."

You could see it on her face that she's defending herself against me. She smiles for a moment and then she pulls in so fast. I didn't want to make her answer my stupid questions, so I let it all go. As long as she's with me, I'm happy. For more than two years, I've been without her silly questions, without her smile. I haven't felt her in two whole years. Like I was in jail. So every small conversation suits me.

We've been so far into the stories of all sorts of topics, we haven't even noticed that the Pub is closing in.

I drove her to the house, and as a habit, I almost leaned over to kiss her. Instead, she thanked for everything and got out.

"Sleep well!" – I said the most stupid thing because I had no idea what to say. My brain stopped.

"You too."- She smiled and closed the door.

Lila at the moment:

Why did I let myself spend almost all night with Harvey? My brain's fighting it, but my heart's not listening to it. If I could, I'd stay with him till morning. His car still smells the same, nothing's changed. I love that car, I've spent some of the best parts of my life in it.

I didn't want to tell him that Alex texted me a long time ago. I wanted it to be just him and me. Maybe that's the last time we're on our own. I don't want to be another girl. Not even a backup. He must be headed to Kiara's place now.

Everyone was asleep a long time ago, and after a successful reconstructing of my hair, I laid down in my bed and I decided to read a good mystery story that I started reading a few weeks ago. I start to read but it feels like I didn't read anything. I've been spinning the scenes of Harvey in my head and how well I felt in those few hours. I'm so sorry for all the bad things that happened between us. He deserves the best in his life.

I remembered I didn't check the mail for the whole day. I wasn't expecting any answers since its Saturday. Advertisements from pages I order, some offers, all worthless. And one e-mail from the television station. Television station with movies, tv shows and with music programs, how perfect is that! They need an assistant. I almost started screaming. They want me to come to the interview on Monday. I've been waiting for this since I graduated. I was so happy I could barely sleep.