CHAPTER 10

Sheddy slid a document in a PDF format on my WhatsApp. I downloaded it only to find it's a business proposal and a CV. It wasn't his CV. The neat CV belonged to Benson Otieno. He had graduated from Strathmore, worked with Airtel, worked with Hedge Media and currently the marketing manager at SVXP. My number and email were fixed there but with a wrong date of birth, I'm not 33 years. I am young, my mom hasn't started pressuring me to bring her a daughter-in-law.

I was left confused, flabbergasted if you like.

I replied to his message, "what are these for?"
"You are held up in a meeting, you forgot to take his email address. So you gave me this document to take it to him." He replied.

I was still confused.

"How are they my documents?" I responded.
"You are Ben." Then he went offline.

It rang a bell why he'd called me Ben. This nigga had all this figured out.

***

Ashley has been running up and down my mind. I fear the repercussions of being intimate with a minor. I didn't want to find myself in prison. 30 years are too many to spend in prison. My feelings for her were growing every minute I spotted her. She motivated me to go to school.

I had refused to give her back the letter, just so I can have a reason to talk to her. Since I wasn't teaching her class, it was hard to spot her. I sometimes had to send someone to call her for me. I'd pretend to be asking her how far they had gone with Geography, or maybe Biology and in the conversation I'd throw a line, "I don't know about our Chemistry but Biology is best when it's practical." She'd laugh then act alittle bit shy, avoiding eye contact with me.
She somehow fell for my words. I liked her glimpse of maturity. Her response were sarcastic. She beat sarcasm with sarcasm - and I liked that.

This did not go for long though before teachers in the staffroom started including my name in their gossips. I could walk in the staffroom and hear my name glittering in a sentence.

Rumours spread in school. Some even reached my ears. That I had written a letter to Ashley. That I went to bed with students. That I lured students with presents. I almost thought someone somewhere was using my body to do all that, 'cause that wasn't me.

***

Sheddy called that evening to inform me that the documents were well delivered and that Richard would call me to schedule a meeting.

"But change of plans. When you go there to meet him, use that opportunity to strangle him. He is just alone in the house. Make sure the soldier doesn't identify you. Leave no evidence. This is the only right chance. "

"What time?" I asked.

"I said he'll call you to schedule a meeting with you."

"Okay."