CHAPTER 4

My mind strolled down the memory lane. I tried to recall how I had met Sheddy on that night at Melanin club. Melanin club was my chill spot. I liked the drinks, the music, the ladies and everything else at Melanin. If you ever wanted to demand for your debt from me, here was the right place to find me.

That night, Joan had escaped from my grip and headed to a table that was occupied by three men. She hugged one of the blokes and handshaked the two. They engaged in a conversation as I walked to my favourite table at the corner, where I could monitor every activity in this dim-lit atmosphere. Joan and the guy kept on looking at my direction as they talked. I felt uncomfortable. I fished out my phone and glued my eyes on WhatsApp group chats.

My attention was captured when two fingers tapped the table. I looked up. It was the guy Joan was talking to. Joan herself was behind him, like 2cm away.
"Babe meet Shedrick. He was my college coursemate. Shed, this is my boyfriend, Ronny."

I gave him a firm handshake as I nodded, "pleasure Shedrick."

"Call me sheddy, only my mom calls me by my full name." He responded then grinned,  "we shall catch up later, brother." He said to me, tapped Joan's left shoulder then walked back to his boys. He looked like someone I could befriend. We had cliqued - yes, in those microseconds, call it brocode.

I enquired more information about him from Joan before we decided to dance the night away.

Before midnight, he walked to where we were dancing and slighty slapped me on the chest, leaving his business card with me. He gestured to me what looked like, "call me." I stared at the card but I couldn't see what was written on it clearly. I put it in my pocket then continued to dance. Joan hardly noticed the flash of the events for she was down there shaking her booty against my groin.
***

A week later, we'd planned to meet with Sheddy at Melanin. He requested that I go alone, not with Joan. The statement had sounded suspicious to my ears. I felt like there was an hidden agenda.

I arrived at melanin a bit early. I took my favourite corner then waited for him as I sipped on my cocktail. On the phonecall, he'd called this a 'small business talk.' 'Business conversations go well over a glass of liquor,' he had convinced. I had intermittent thoughts of quiting my teaching career after he'd promised a good deal. The 'good deal' is what he wanted us to break down over a glass of liquor, bills on him.

A familiar face walked in. He looked right and nodded at the ladies who sat by the entrance. It was him. He was finally here. He walked to the counter and seemed to be asking for something, rather someone. The waiter pointed to my direction. Sheddy turned and strode majestically to where I sat. He took a pew then cleared his throat, but didn't say a word.

"How are you doing sir?" I broke the silence.
"As you can see, I'm doing better than you" He quipped. It sounded rude. I laughed as he ordered for beer.

"So, Roy...I want us to..."
"It's Ronny." I intervened.
"I will call you whatever I want, Jane." He retorted, looking me straight in the eyes.

The atmosphere had commenced to feel uncomfortable. I had depicted him to be a funny guy, but it turned out that he was the rudest person I had ever met. His words were utterly sharp, I felt the cuts in my bone marrow.

"Before we continue, I want us to agree on something." He said, deeping his hand in the inner pocket of his jacket. He pulled out a fat envelope and dropped it on the table. The force between the table and the envelope made the beer in the glasses to create mere waves.

"I want you to dump Joan!" He said
"But why?" I wondered
"Because I said so..." He paused, gave me a weird look then continued, "just ditch her. We don't want traitors in this business."
"How well do you know her?" I asked
"Do me a favour Roy, don't ask questions!" He said, in a deep voice.
"Now, pocket this..." He pushed the envelope to my direction "that's Ksh10,000, go dump her."
"Is that what the business entail?" I enquired.
"Like any other business, it entails making money."
"Alright sir."
"Can I get the feedback tomorrow?" He asked
"But I don't have a reason to break up with her this soon, she has been good, loyal and all that."
"I will give you a reason." He said.

***

Three days later, Sheddy gave me a buzz and urgently told me to meet him at CJ's. I had never been to CJ's. The peanuts I earned from teaching could not pay a bill at such a restaurant.

Sheddy looked friendly that evening. He fist bumped me as I pulled a chair to join him to snack.
"How was your day?"
"Great, I can't complain." I replied.
"Back to business, did you dump her?" Snap, he flashed from good mood to undescribable mood.
"No... I can't..." I stammered.
"You have to, or I'll force it."

I felt like I had indulged myself in a burning hell. Meeting sheddy was a nightmare that no one ever wishes for.

"I'll add you 20k..." He smiled, I smiled back "but you'll have to kill her." His smile faded.

He looked around him to see if anyone was listening then whispered, "failure to which you'll be the one to die."

***
That same night, Sheddy gave me directions to a lodging in town. He'd asked me to meet him there at 8PM, room 69. I wondered what was cooking, and why he insisted on my relationship termination.

I kept time, I arrived at the lodging and got into room 69 only to find Sheddy on top of Joan, in a compromising position. The moans and groans ceased immediately after they noticed my presence. Joan pushed away Sheddy and covered her mouth with her two hands, eyes wide open. I had never seen her eyes that big. Sheddy started laughing, looking at me.

"Close the door Roy." He ordered. I obeyed.

I was sandwiched in mixed emotions. I didn't know whether to fight Sheddy or to walk away. I actually had thought of slapping Joan, but then punching them both sounded logic enough.

Sheddy got up and wore his clothes. He fished out a pistol from his jacket and handed it to me. I shivered in fear. I had never held a gun before.

"Kill her, or you die." He said, pointing another pistol at me.

Joan looked more confused than I was. She had began dressing up but she ceased after her eyes met the pistols.

"Pull the trigger!"  He yelled.
"Sorry Sheddy, I don't think I can..."
"I said pull that trigger!" He intervened in a commanding voice.

I pointed at Joan, then pulled the trigger. The blast wasn't as loud as I had thought. The muzzle must have had the sound suppressor.

I saw her falling back as blood oozed out of her head. Suddenly, a feeling I had never had rushed down my whole body.

"Let's get the hell out of here." Sheddy said as he made big strides towards the door.

We got into his car and drove off. In the car, he kept on congratulating my actions and even promised me a large sum of cash. I was remorseful. I felt stupid.
"You are a murderer Ronny, or is it Roy, you are a murderer. It's going to be awesome working with you, only if you cooperate. Good money in return. Don't fuck up!" He had said in a croacky voice as we drove down thika superhighway.

And that's how I earned my second job. My night job. Side hustle if you may.