EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
THE LONG WAY HOME

WHEN THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION SET IN, Diana ran to the bushes and threw up

WHEN THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION SET IN, Diana ran to the bushes and threw up. She didn't know if it was the alcohol, adrenaline, or pure disbelief that caused her nausea but if she had to guess, it was probably a combination of all three.

The tequila bottle she had stolen was long forgotten on the grass as she hunched over Tina's shrubs, and when she finally recovered, she saw that it was knocked over with half of its contents spilled out. She debated finishing it, but she knew that if she didn't stop now, she would end up too drunk to take care of herself. Instead, she used it to wash out the rancid aftertaste that lingered in the back of her throat. The burn of tequila was better than the bitter taste of betrayal.

What happened was a train wreck. An absolute run-off-the-tracks-and-crash-head-first-into-a-stone-wall type of train wreck that people would certainly talk about the next day when their memories resurfaced.

Walking home in the middle of the night was not the smartest idea she ever had, but it was her only option. She couldn't call James to pick her up and she wasn't going to find Steve to take him up on his offer because both required walking back into Tina's house and under no circumstances would she go back to that party.

So Diana sighed and headed down the dark street towards Loch Nora. Her house was only twenty minutes away on foot and she figured she could use the peace and quiet.

As she walked, the rage she felt towards Greg faded away and an overwhelming amount of sadness seeped in. Before she knew it, tears were streaming down her face.

The rose coloured glasses were coming off and she could finally see her relationship with Greg Morison for what it really was. It was one sided and it always had been.

The charming boy she fell for never existed. He was just a character he made up so he could pull her in and trap her, using her name and status to his advantage. Because who was Greg Morison before Diana Blake? Before she introduced him to her friends? Before he had the girl everyone wanted to be friends with? He was a nobody who wanted to be a somebody, and he got what he wanted and cast her aside like she was nothing.

It was a startling realization to come to; to realize that everything she did, the changes she made, and all the lies she told herself was for nothing. Diana spent so long making herself smaller that she hadn't realized she was losing herself in the process. Parts of her died with every excuse he made and every time she caught onto his little game, he would turn it on her and make her feel crazy for even thinking he was capable of hurting her. But at the end of the day, that's all he ever did.

Maybe she only had herself to blame. Even towards the end, when the whispers grew louder and she no longer loved him, she still couldn't leave. She still waited for him by the door like a little kid who believed in promises. She still defended him to her family. She knew better than to stay, but the rollercoaster of emotions was all she ever knew.