THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY
HEARTBREAK BUILDS CHARACTER

CHAPTER THIRTYHEARTBREAK BUILDS CHARACTER

DIANA WAS AT a clear disadvantage. With her body pressed against the wall, she stood no chance in fighting back against El. She had no powers of her own or weapons on hand. All she had were the strings that made her a puppet. Her only choice was to wait until the young girl got tired and let her go.

As the Mind Flayer destroyed the once quaint cabin, Diana was forced to watch as Max and her friends panicked and scrambled for cover. Some searched for weapons, others ran to hide, but one—Max—kept looking over at her with an expression of heartache.

Max knew it wasn't Diana's fault. Will made it very clear how difficult it was to exist in a body he had no control over. He spared no details when recounting the restricting feeling of causing pain to the people he cared about and how suffocating it was to share his skin. The thought of Diana and Billy going through the same thing made her nauseous.

It was a horrible situation for both of them, because while Max was forced to watch from the outside, Diana was forced to watch from within.

It was the weirdest, most frustrating thing. To share her body, her mind, her life with somebody who's only goal went against every moral code she had was exhausting. It was like she was stuck behind a glass panel, unable to reach the control panel. Sometimes the glass was clear and she could see through the window and every decision the Mind Flayer made for her. Other times, the glass was etched and foggy. Times like those meant she couldn't see a thing, and when she got her sight back, all that laid out before her was chaos.

Somewhere deep down in Diana's mind, far away from the Mind Flayer's hold, she felt guilt over what she had done. The whispers told her that it was all her fault. If she only fought harder when her brother first took her, if she only begged Billy to stay home the night he crashed his car, if she only she ran away from Heather Holloway's house and never looked back. The list of her regrets grew longer each minute and she had no choice but to watch, and regret, and hate herself for it.

There was little sympathy to be found in the room. The only people who were thinking about Diana's well-being were Max and Will. They viewed her as a victim, while the others viewed her as the villain.

The older teens were quick to arm themselves. Nancy held a shot gun and was blasting away at the monster, while Jonathan prepared to swing an axe he found.

The blade sunk into the flesh of the Mind Flayer, but the monster quickly disarmed him. The tendril swung and launched an attack on the older Byers boy until Nancy unloaded her ammunition on it, stunning it long enough for El to tear it apart.

Diana's body slid down the wall as two more tendrils crashed into the cabin. El lost her hold on her and her feet hit the floor with a thud.

While El was busy keeping the monster at bay, Diana was free to move around the room. The chaos failed to disguise her, and Lucas had his slingshot loaded and pointed at her. Small rocks and debris from the ceiling came flying at her face, but she barely flinched.