chapter nineteen ❁

chapter twenty three: the great escape

"So, Lelia,"

I climb down my ladder, grasping my clothes and toiletries. After leaving the lake today, sand was pretty much in every crack and crevice of my body. My hair and shirt reeked of alcohol and weed and the only thing on my mind was getting to the nearest shower.

"May I help you?" I say to Erin.

"I am pretty sure, I'm a genius."

Erin and I follow the rest of the girls out of the cabin. I exit first as Erin locks the cabin door behind us. It doesn't take us long to trot up the hill and make it on the main path. More and more girls, from different cabins. All follow the herd to the showers.

"What makes you say that?"

I fear the words that are about to come out of her mouth, "I think I have devised the most clever plan ever!"

Does she mean, she is going to give me another transformation? Or convince me to do a mind altering drug?

"Lord, what is it Erin?"

Erin gently pulls my arm back and we stray away from the rest of the girls. The jingling of keys quickly distracts me. Erin fishes in her pockets and pulls out a set of unrecognizable keys. Which were not her Rosewood certified counselor keys.

"Stole this little gem from John's office." Erin says with a defiant grin that proved that she was up to no good.

I hum to myself, looking at the pair of ordinary keys, "They are just keys. What's the big deal?"

Erin runs her slender fingers through the bundle of keys. Out comes a key, made for a Volkswagen van, "This little baby will be ours for the night."

"No, listen, listen! Cliff is already in on this. But, during lock down tonight. I think we should escape Rosewood for the night."

"Oh, that's funny. You and Cliff can do that! I'll be catching up on my sleep!"

I continue to trot down the hill. But Erin quickly stops me, "No, idiot! You are involved in our scheme too!" Erin was practically speaking a different language to me. How am I involved in their great escape?!

"The whole gang's involved." She says in a low whisper.

We finally approach the showers, after our short walk. All of the girls file into the small, dank building, one by one. We take our steps inside and I am immediately overwhelmed, by the smell of mildew and cheap soap. The clamorous sounds of the surrounding showers, drowned out our voices. Before I could react, Erin reached for my hand and dragged us into an open stall.

"Hey!"

Erin draws back the curtain and drops her belongings on the shower floor.

"Erin? Are we showering together?"

"No, stupid! This is the only way that you can listen to me."

I follow suit and drop my amenities on the floor. No matter how much I resisted the evil and dubious plan. It still intrigued me either way, "Okay," I pause and swipe the cascading sweat off my forehead, "What is it?"

"So, tonight, after lock-down. You and I, will meet up with the rest of the boys-"

I cut her off immediately, "Boys? I thought it was just, you, Cliff and I?"

"When I said 'gang'. I meant the other boys too. Ya know, Larsie, James and Kirk."

Immediately, butterflies ignite and my mind races at the possibilities. I can't even imagine Erin, and the entire gang and I. Escaping Rosewood and eloping in a van?! Where would we possibly go?!