Twenty-Seven

"Goddamn it, I told you! You stupid old man!"

Gemma visits Piney at his cabin and finds him dead on the floor. She yells at his corpse, saying she warned him. Unser joins her. Gemma says it had to be Clay.

"No way, no way, no way. Ah. Jesus."

"How did this happen, Wayne?"

"This had to be Clay. He lied to me last night. Told me he was at the clubhouse. We burned those letters. There was no proof."

"Why would he have to do this?"

"Clay read the letters. The ones you saw burning were copies. He thinks Tara and Piney have the originals."

"You son of a bitch."

"I thought I could prevent this."

"That's why you've been hovering over Tara."

"Clay is like a wounded animal, Gemma. He's gonna rip apart anything that comes too close including Tara. I can't protect your old man anymore. I'm calling this in to the sheriff's, have them pick up Clay."

"No. The next corpse you're gonna be standing over is the mother of your grandchild. Are you ready for that? Clay cannot be saved. You're right. He's a wounded animal. And he needs us, Wayne, more than ever. What kind of wife would I be if I turn on him now?"

"One that wanted to survive."

"I love him. And we are all responsible for this. Our hands are just as bloody as Clay's."

"Did you lie to me too? Did you know the real reason why Clay wanted JT dead? Him ending guns?"

"I supported Clay's decision. I knew it was the best thing for the town and the club, and my family. I never knew the details."

"I'm gonna choose to believe that."

"We have to find those letters, Wayne. I can prove to Clay that there's no threat. I know I can bring him close again. I know I can. Please, Wayne?"

"It, uh, looks like Clay made an attempt to point this at the cartel shit. I can help with that. Make sure it doesn't blow back on him or the club."

"Thank you."

"You should get out of here. I- I can handle this."

She tells Unser about Clay lying about where he was last night. Unser tells her that Clay thinks Tara and Piney have the originals. Gemma realizes that's why Unser has been hovering over Tara.

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Jax visits his mother at the garage. They talk privately. He breaks some news that he knows she won't like. Tara's taking the kids to Portland.

"What's going on?"

"Tara's gonna head up to Oregon tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know."

"She's taking the kids with her."

"Why?"

"She's their mother. She's gonna take Elyda to help her." Jax informs his mother, mentioning the new babysitter Tara hired in case Ellie needed help, or had school.

"For how long?"

"I'm not sure."

"What are you doing, Jackson?" Gemma's anxious at the thought of her grandbabies being away from her.

"I'm getting my daughter, my boys clear of headless bodies."

"You can't do that."

"Mom it's just until we get past this cartel shit. Tara's just doing what you would do. She's protecting her family. I'm sorry." He leaves her there speechless when Clay interrupts and asks to speak with him in the chapel alone.

"We need an exit strategy."

"I'm gonna come up with one and then I'm out."

"What are you talking about?"

"We're gonna make this deal with the Irish, get Romeo his WMDs, and then we're gonna sit down and plan a way to get this club free of Galindo, see an end date. And then I'm gone. I'm taking Tara and my kids and we're getting clear of this."

"You promised me you would finish this out." Anger boils in Clay.

"And you promised me the cartel would be good for the club. I guess we both lied." Jax glares back at his attitude.

"Doctor pussy's clouding who you are, son."

Jax stands dangerously close to Clay, clenching his fists, a murderous look on his face as he stares at Clay. He restrains himself wanting to punch him.

"If you ever talk that way about Tara again, I will pound those half dead hands so hard into this table you won't ever be able to hold that gavel again."

~ SOA ~ ~ SOA ~

Clay finds Gemma outside the club at night. He joins her on the swing set. He says it was a rough day.

"I live with so many lies, Clay. So many things I can't ever speak of. I'm okay with that. I do it to protect what we have. But I can't lie to you. You're the only truth I have."

"I know, baby."

"I went to the cabin today. I know why you did it. I know you read JT's letters. Burned the copies. So what do we do with this truth?"

"Nothing. It stays between us. Piney wanted a hard way out. Going down defending John was probably the noblest way for him. But it stops here. I talked to Tara. She's never gonna tell Jax about those letters. She knows it would push him deeper into the club. She's heading out of town tomorrow morning. Going up to Oregon for some hospital thing. When she gets back, I'll get the letters. And I promise you I won't let her hurt this club or our family. But you have to promise me you won't hurt Tara."

"Okay." Clay says.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me."

"I promise," Clay lies to her face, "I won't hurt Tara. I love you, Gemma. Everything I do is for you."

Clay says goodbye to Gemma, she drives home. Clay takes out his burner cell phone Luis had given him to contact Romeo's contract killer. He opens it and dials.

a/n: just a reminder that this story is based on a fictional televison show and i, as the author of this fanfiction, write how i want and what i want. 🤷‍♀️ sending me rude messages, or commenting insults because you do not agree with my writing won't change anything. it's fanfiction... not real life. let's all just be a little more kind to each other. the world needs more kind people. 💞