Bitter

Mm, she's so hot."

"So true," Kara agreed, stuffing her face with popcorn. Lena reached for another handful and Kara let her. "Super hot," Kara muttered again absently, and Lena paused in her chewing.

"Kara," Lena said slowly, and Kara turned her head towards Lena, eyes slower to follow as she eventually tore them off the screen. Lena looked into her eyes for a long moment, searching for what, she didn't know. "You know I meant that in a gay way, right? Like, I am hella gay. Very lesbian."

Kara swallowed and beamed that megawatt smile Lena was steadily becoming to used to after one month of friendship. "That is excellent news," she said. "I'd hate to think I made another straight friend. I'm bi, by the way."

Lena felt her lips tug upward, a brilliant smile drawn out of her as she beamed back at Kara. "Fantastic," she said crisply. "I too would hate to think I made another straight friend."

"You're in luck," Kara said, extracting an arm from the couch and slinging it around Lena. "Maggie and Alex are like, gonna get engaged any day. They're super gay. Three out of three of your new friends are queer. You're batting at a thousand right now."

Lena laughed, feeling a little more of the weight of today's trial watching come off her chest as Kara took her in. "Thank god," she said, sighing dramatically in relief, and Kara laughed. "Drat," she said sardonically. "At this rate I'll need a token straight friend."

Kara's loud laugh rolled off the walls, completely interrupting Lena's favorite scene, and Lena had never cared less.

---

Lena picked up the phone on the third ring. "Hey Kara," she said, sounding a little absent, her voice a little rough.

"Lena? Where are you?"

"The dunes," came the unapologetic reply.

"The dunes? Did I miss something?"

"What do you mean?"

"I thought we were having dinner?" Kara asked, totally bewildered by this point.

"Oh. We were. I'm so sorry Kara, I totally forgot." There was still something just wrong in Lena's voice.

"No, no, that's okay. Are you, um, doing alright?"

There was a long pause that Kara didn't dare interrupt. "Not really," Lena answered. "But it'll be fine. I'm sorry about dinner. I'll make it up to you."

"No, Lena, you don't have to--"

"I'll see you late--"

"Lena," Kara interrupted, closing her eyes, "Do you want to be alone right now?"

There was a shorter pause this time. "Not really," she answered again, quieter than the first time.

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes," Kara promised. "Unless you want someone else?" she asked, thinking about how it'd only been like two months of friendship.

"No, I want you," came the small reply, and Kara smiled.

"I'll see you soon." She hung up and drove like hell.

///

Lena was having a shitty day again. She had had a few already. The court procedures had already gone through. Lex was sentenced. Lena had testified, briefly, her testimony largely insignificant. She had stared at Lex with sad eyes the whole time while the truth that her brother had made some very poor decisions had sunk in over the course of the three-day trial. He had done some good in the end, though, rolling over on the higher-ups who had talked him into the fraud scheme so the court convicted them on everything. He was still going to jail. For three years, plus an eight million dollar fine.