Chapter Twelve - Hilda Returns

Start from the beginning

"Hi, I'm Nya, Jay's girlfriend." She smiled and held her hand out for Katherine to shake. Katherine looked Nya up and down and looked at Jay.

"I thought you had better taste than that." She stated before shoving past Nya.

"She's a... work in progress." Jay told Nya reassuringly.

"Katherine, it's great to see you again." Cole greeted her, his tone a little sarcastic.

"Pleasure." She fake smiled and looked down at the coffee table. "When was the last time this was cleaned?"

"I'm not sure. Not that long ago I hope." Jay smiled, trying to seem funny.

"Ah right, I forgot my brother was a traveller. Not home very much, was he?" She ran her finger along the side of the table and brushed off the dust from her finger.

"An actor. He was an actor." Jay corrected her.

"Right, he definitely was... different." She stated awkwardly.

Brady turned to Nya. "What's your name? What's your surname? Why are you with Jay? What do you see in Jay? What is your favourite colour? What school do you go to? Where do you live?"

"Wow, he really is nosy, isn't he?" She told Jay.

"He been speaking about me?" Brady crossed his arms and turned to Jay. "You been speaking about me?"

"Brady, go hang up my coat." Katherine handed her fur coat to her son.

"Yes mother." Brady left the room.

"Maybe Hilda would be a better name for her." Lloyd whispered to Cole.

"Told ya." He replied.

Katherine turned to the boys.

"Why are they here?" She looked them up and down.

"They're my friends." Jay replied.

"Best friend. I'm his best friend." Cole corrected.

"Surely you have your own homes, don't you?" She asked.

"Well yeah." Zane spoke up.

"Then why do you have to be here?" She wondered.

This made the boys speechless. All except for Cole that is...

Cole crossed his arms and stepped forward so he was directly in front of her.

"You tryin' to stop me from seeing my best friend?" He tried to keep his cool.

"Jay has friends? How sweet! Where are they?" She asked, looking around at her surroundings.

"HERE! ME!" Cole shouted.

She looked him up and down again in disgust. "Oh. You?"

"You just blew your last straw, missy." Cole gritted his teeth.

Lloyd and Zane grabbed Cole's shoulders and dragged him away.

"Yeah, we'll be leaving now. Thanks for having us." Lloyd told her awkwardly.

"She gonna get it." Cole mouthed to Jay angrily.

"I don't want to know what that means." Nya said to Jay.

"It's better to keep it that way." Jay replied.

Katherine turned to Nya and smiled sweetly.

"It was nice...uh... being in the same room with you but it's now time for you to leave." She told her.

Nya frowned. "Well why can't I stay?" 

"You aren't exactly my type." Katherine replied.

"You're type? I don't have to be YOUR type." Nya sassed her.

Katherine took a deep breath and smiled. "Do your parents realise that they're living proof that two wrongs don't make a right."

Nya gasped and looked at Jay. "Did you hear that?! Did you her what she just said?!" 

Jay nodded. "Yep. Yes, I did."

Nya turned to her and crossed her arms. "Too bad I can't photoshop that ugly personality of yours."

Jay rolled his eyes.

"I would love to insult you but I wouldn't do as well as nature did." Katherine replied.

"And you pointing out the obvious is what, helpful?" Nya frowned.

"Okay, that's enough." Jay took Nya to the front door. "I'm sorry about her. Look, I'll call you later, okay?"

"You better get rid of her other wise you ain't gonna see me walk through this door again." Nya warned.

Jay smiled and closed the door behind Nya as she wandered down the path. Jay walked back into the living room and saw Katherine just standing there staring at him.

"So... how's it going?" Jay smiled awkwardly.

"Go fetch me a cup of tea will you Jason?" Katherine sat herself down on the sofa.

"Did dad ever tell you that my name isn't short for anything?" Jay asked.

"No but he isn't here to tell me that, is he? So from now on, your name is Jason." She told him.

"I don't think you have the power to do that." Jay frowned.

"I am in charge now. Go and get me a cup of tea Jason, I will not ask you again." She demanded.

Jay rolled his eyes and headed into the kitchen. "This is going to be a long few years..."