•01•

"HIS MAJESTY, KING DAE SOO HAS ARRIVED!" I heard the general's voice over the banging of the drums.

I was about to run towards the doors, but my mother's firm hand held mine and dragged me back to my seat. she gave me 'the look' and started to stare towards the crowd ahead of us again.

Unbelievable. In what world can't a daughter run and welcome her own father home? I thought as I sank into my seat, disappointed.

Mother has always been so serious and emotionless, and I still couldn't understand why.

"HIS HIGHNESS PRINCE JOO HAS ARRIVED!" I heard the general's voice again.

I wanted to get up again, but my mother's cold stare stopped me dead in my tracks. I've missed my father and brother terribly since they were off at war for the past three months. I squeezed mother's hand in excitement, but she shook it off with a disgusted look plastered across her face.

Ruuude. I thought as I looked away from her.

My brother, actually half brother, prince Joo has always been perfect. He succeeded in winning both mother's and father's hearts, which I think that I have failed to do.

Father, who ruled the strongest area amongst the other emperors, never bothered to bat an eye at me, since I wasn't the 'warrior' he dreamed of. Mother was just too hard to impress because she has been so closed up all these years.

I flashed the biggest smile I could give as I saw father and brother walk towards us. Mother and I got up and bowed to father as he approached us. After a brief family reunion, we walked out among the other's cheering.

•••••

Father instructed me to leave for my quarters and wait until my attire arrives, which I had to wear for the dinner feast. I obeyed him and walked out.

"Ran, do you want me to walk you to your quarters?" I turned around as I heard my brother say.

"I would love that" I replied, nodding enthusiastically.

Joo walked me to my quarters, which stood in a corner of the palace, away from mother's and father's quarters. I glanced at Joo as we walked, and I noticed that he had changed a lot over the past months. He had scars which ran up his arms and he limped a bit as he walked. His smile and his kind personality remained the same, but the battle scars made him look a lot different.

"How's life in the palace, sister?" He asked me as we walked down the stone path.

"Same old. Same old." I replied, giving him a fake smile.

The last thing I wanted was to worry him with my problems, so I gave him a dorky smile and pretended that I was doing fine.

He has problems to handle on his own, so why bother him with mine? I thought as he let out a relieved sigh.

I asked him about the ongoing war, hoping that he would change the subject. We talked about many things as we walked, and I learnt that all the enemies of my father joined hands together and they all were against our kingdom now. He said it so normally, but just the mere thought of it gave me chills.

"Looks like I escorted the lady safely to her chambers...." Joo joked as we reached the lonely looking chamber.

I snorted in a sarcastic manner and climbed up the steps into my room. I felt a piercing glance on the back of my head and when I turned around, I found Joo looking at me with a concentrated face.

"What?" I asked him, scanning his face.

Is there something on my face? I thought as I wiped my face, suddenly feeling embarrassed.