Chapter 13

POV Jack

I have a hard time explaining away my sore throat when it was doing so much better and then they make me eat oatmeal for breakfast and when I come out of the shower my voice is raw and scratchy again. I tell them the steam loosened the phlegm in my chest and I coughed and that's why it's raw again. I don't tell them that my throat is raw again because I purged my breakfast before I got ready for school.

Mikey insists that I ride with them to the university. Mikey and Harvey always drive together, Andy has his own car but I go alone and walk because they have the stuff to do after class, Mikey and Harvey have football and Andy hangs out with his friends and usually wanders home around dinner time. Harvey's and Mikey's football is over though and Andy always sticks close to home when he knows I'm feeling down.

The ride to school is quiet; I sit in the back seat with my head pressed to the window, Andy sits next to me, Mikey and Harvey's exchange worried glances in the front seat. I spend my entire first period wondering if I should just stay away from the studio to avoid seeing Brook. I know Brook will go to check if I'm back at school, even though I haven't replied any of his texts. The last thing I need is to bump into Brook after avoiding him during the second period and have to explain that as well as why I've been ignoring Brook's texts. I'll have to go, I'll have to act like everything is fine. There is always a chance Brook won't show up at all, I didn't get a text in the morning like I usually would so maybe Brook won't check the studio.

The bell rings after first and I gather my things to head to second, hoping maybe Brook won't come. I unpack my things at the work station even though I have nothing to work on. I end up folding my arms and putting my head down, hoping to just sleep through the period. It isn't long before there is a hand on my back though, rubbing softly up and down. I clear my throat and raise my head. Brook is sitting on the stool beside me, backpack still on and a crease between his brows. I offer a weak smile and straighten up, Brook's hand stays on my shoulder.

Brook looks at me for just a moment before he's reaching forward, pulling me into his arms. I only tense for a moment before I let myself sink into the hug a bit, accepting Brook's arms wrapped warmly around my shoulders and wrapping my own arms around Brook's waist. I expect him to ask about the texts or something but he doesn't. He just holds me for a little longer and then holds me at arm's length as his eyes search my face.

"How are you feeling?" he asks gently. "I'm alright," I say but my voice is still raspy. Brook frowns. "Throat still hurts?" he asks. "A little," I say and shrugs. "I'm okay," I add. He nods and pulls a stool over, sitting beside me. I put my head back down on my arms and I'm thankful when I hear Brook taking out his textbooks. I appreciate it because I think maybe he doesn't want to talk right now but as I listen to Brook's pencil lightly scratching at the paper I feel guilty. It's not Brook's fault I can't control myself, can't keep myself from being attracted to Brook. He doesn't deserve to be ignored when he's been nothing but nice to me. I'm going to have to get my shit together and maybe I can introduce Brook to some of the girls at the rehearsal on Monday or something so I don't have to feel so guilty for not talking to him after the show.

I raise my head and find Brook scribbling in his notebook. He reaches out for a highlighter and notices my head isn't down anymore. He offers me a small smile as he uncaps the highlighter and drags it across a line in his notebook. "Did you know we went to the same college in Dublin?" Brook asks after a while. My eyebrows shoot up. "No, did we? I thought you said you were from Essex?" I ask and Brook nods. "Yeah I am, but we moved to Dublin before I started college when my dad got a promotion. I was in the same year as you," he explains. "Oh wow, I- I'm sorry for not remembering you," I say and frown.

"No don't be silly, I'd never expect you to. We never like, talked, I just knew you because everyone knew you, didn't they. You were just like that, nice to everyone and so like, outgoing. Then I came here and I saw you one day in the hall when I was with Rye and I remembered you. I wanted to say thank you then, but he told me you would think I was a creep. Then when you asked me to do the show for you I actually couldn't even believe that for whatever reason you noticed me, but I'm glad because now maybe I can say thank you without sounding like a total creep?" Brook says with a small hopeful smile. I shake my head though. "I don't understand Brook, what do you have to say thank you for?" I ask confused and Brook laughs softly.