19. Merci, Monsieur

Start from the beginning

Monsieur Bouland nodded at my apology, his expression still warm and inviting.

"Je souhaiterais – si vous voulez bien de moi – réintégrer le programme quelques soirs par semaine. Je suis complètement disponible et je promets de ne pas me désister ou manquer un quart de travail." (I was hoping—if you'd have me—that I could get back on the schedule a few nights a week. My availability is completely open and I promise I won't call out or miss a shift.) I was rambling, unsure that if I paused to take a breath I'd have the courage to continue.

"Ma chère, je suis navré, mais tous les postes sont remplis en ce moment," (My dear, I apologize, but all of the artist shifts are full at the moment,) Monsieur Bouland said, spreading his hands wide in regret. My face fell before he continued. "Cependant, je peux rajouter ton nom à la liste au cas où l'un des autres pianistes se désisterait, et je sais que Sebastien n'a pas encore rempli le calendrier de novembre." (However, I can add your name back to the list in case one of the other pianists backs out, and I know Sebastien has yet to fill the calendar for November.)

I smiled gratefully back at the older man. It wasn't ideal, but it was more than I deserved. "Merci, Monsieur." (Thank you, Monsiuer.)

"Bien sûr. À présent, puis-je faire autre chose pour toi?" (Of course. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?)

"Pourrais-je vous importuner en demandant une part de Cerise pour Caleb et John?" (Can I trouble you for a slice of the Cerise for Caleb and John?)

"J'ai encore mieux. Que dirais-tu d'une tarte entière?" (I'll do you one better. How about an entire pie?)

* * *

Over the course of the next week, I struggled to force myself back into some semblance of what used to be my normal routine. I woke up, went to class, met with the Madame, and worked my first shift back at Daniel's. All in all, I made sure every night I was too exhausted to dream. I deleted my Gala piece from my Mac, but the composition still haunted me. My memories were beginning to resurface more frequently and it was getting harder to force them back behind the locked doors in my mind. Harry had been with me there in my dream. He'd been so real I could still feel his arms around me, his lips burning against mine. I'd wanted him there, and I wasn't ready to face the truth of the revelation.

Caleb and John were ecstatic to see me up and about again. Every morning, noon, and night I was greeted with a five star meal, surrounded the entire time by my family. Caleb and John didn't ask what had brought about my sudden change, but they didn't really care. To them, all that matter was that the girl they loved was back. Jas seemed to know without my having to say a word. It was both unnerving and comforting. I wasn't sure I liked being so goddamn transparent, but at the same time I wasn't sure that I could have actually followed through with the confession in the first place.

Right now, I was leaning more toward grateful. Jas was the only constantly simplistic thing in my life. She seemed to be the only one who didn't want anything from me and who wouldn't judge me for my rash decisions. I needed that judgement-free friend at the moment.

Leala frequented almost every meal during the week. Caleb and John led me to believe that she'd become a near constant presence in the house over the months I'd been gone. A year ago I would have thrown a world-class hissy fit at the sight of the feather-haired Brit. It wouldn't have been one of my brightest moments, but now... Now, I was happy for Jas and, though I hated to admit it, the girl was growing on me. Besides, she made my sister smile.

The world through the eyes of Leala Kaine was essentially black and white. While the rest of us were constantly stuck fighting our way through gray areas, Lee knew her place in the world. I envied her.