Chapter Nine - Chocolate Is A Great Cure

Start from the beginning

"Do you need to go back?" Black asked.

"N...no..." He pushed back a little more, close to the other side of his bed now.

"I think he wants us to leave," Potter said, a flash of understanding in his face. "Come on, let him be." Potter got up and Pettigrew followed suit. "Come on then, Sirius."

Black gave Remus one more look--much like he had after Remus woke up the dorm with his nightmare--then stood up. Then Pettigrew doubled over to looked under the bed again. "If you prefer fruity candy I have a jelly sl--uuggg!" He croaked the last bit out as Potter yanked him back upright, then the three of them left the dorm.

Remus's hand snaked out and he snatched up the chocolate frog. Why is he giving me this? Why did they seem so concerned? He opened the box and the frog jumped on his face then tried jumping away. Remus got hold of it very quickly and held it until the magic faded and it stopped wriggling. He loved chocolate but hated chocolate frogs because they hopped and moved like a real frog. It made him feel more like a monster for eating it even though everyone else ate them with no issue. Once a few minutes passed since the last time the frog moved, Remus ate it. Mostly because Pettigrew gave it to him.

Pomfrey called them my friends but we're not friends so why are they being like this? He had figured it would be easy to avoid making friends since he figured nobody would want to talk to him. The fact they were actively seeking him out just... bewildered him. I guess they're just trying to be nice since I'm their dorm-mate...

He crawled out from under his bed and put the chocolate frog card on Pettigrew's pillow, then went to get another shower and clean clothes on.

*

Dear Remus, 5/9/71

Please be very safe, sweetheart. I'm so worried about you being there during this time. I know they've ensured your safety however I cannot stop worrying. You said you have a whole house? That really doesn't seem very safe either. Please write back as soon as you can. I want to sen this letter immediately but I know you won't get it till Wednesday morning anyway.

The house is so empty without you. I miss your laughter and the sound of you running around and the sound of pages turning. When you were a baby and Lyall told me you'd be going to Hogwarts one day I knew it would be hard. I just never realized it would be this hard. I've cried myself to sleep every night. I'm not going to lie, when you sent your letter I really hoped you were writing to say you wanted to come home. Don't get me wrong, darling, I am so glad you are happy there with your classes. I just miss you. It feels like now you are out of my arms there is no way I can protect you. That is all I want... to protect you...

Please keep yourself quiet and safe. If anyone found out you know what they'd do. Write to me as often as you can, baby. I miss you.

Love,

Mum

PS Lyall showed me a picture of an imp and your drawing is perfectly fine!

*

Wednesday morning, and he could thankfully go back to classes! He hoped he wouldn't be in trouble for taking his homework in so late though figured the teachers would be lenient. All his teachers today knew the truth. Dedenne might not be lenient, he thought at breakfast. She thinks I'm stupid. He had gone over the DADA work a dozen times the previous evening to make sure everything was perfect. He wanted to prove himself to her.

Evans sat down across from him, a bright smile on her face. "You're out of the hospital wing!"

"Ooh, er, y--yeah," he said, choking a bit on his toast. "Th--th--thank... s... f---for... card..."