Chapter 8 Cops and Companions

Tiny particles of dust floated in the early morning sun filtering through the Borel Justice Centre's dirty windows. The beams danced across the wooden floors, fascinating C'Kuk M'Tarle. Humans found the Regulun species odd looking. Feathers covered everything but their face and hands. Large wings folded neatly against the length of their backs. Delicate features and a slight build set C'Kuk apart from the young women she knew. That beauty enthralled most of the males in her circle -- until they spent time with her. Unfortunately, she tended toward petulant. That less than appealing characteristic shown in full force today. Bored, restless, and stuck yet again on desk duty, the young justice officer sighed. It was really more of a disgusted huff at the state of her career in law enforcement. She played with her writing stylus, contemplating how many ways her life mimicked the tiny bits suspended in those beams.

She'd dreamt of this job for as long as she could remember. The day she graduated from the Academy, she'd celebrated with her family, promising to make her father proud. By now she'd imagined a burgeoning career chasing criminals in the H'Rau districts. Instead, she found herself behind this desk, going nowhere fast. The officers in this place (including three fellow academy graduates) considered her nothing more than a glorified file clerk. "Granted," they said, "you look good in uniform, you just need to -- mature."

"The nerve of them. I'm just as much a justice officer as they are," she mumbled.

She glanced at the stack of reports on her desk. The last three days were neatly recorded, each page listing the results of seventeen investigations and arrests ... and left by her boss on her desk. Every time the Chief Inspector planned a surveillance detail, or took a team out on a special assignment, ‭she remained behind, babysitting the office. He did it to her again today. She'd begged to go and it didn't seem to matter that ‬she graduated top of her class, he'd left her behind. ‬The same answer rang in her head. Next time, C'Kuk. You need a little more training, C'Kuk. You didn't score high enough on your weapons exam. C'Kuk‭; ‬try again next time‭.

C'Kuk filed the station's paperwork, poured herself a cup of neshema and plopped into the chair behind the reception desk. The creak of the door drew her out of her sullen thoughts. She rolled her eyes and groaned. ‭‬The last thing she expected or needed ‬picked that moment to walk into her station. Four humans. She hated dealing with humans and this bunch looked tired, out of sorts and difficult.‭

One of them probably managed to get themselves rolled, she thought. Still, the Chief demanded professionalism, even with the likes of these four. C'Kuk stood up and smiled, only partially hoping they bought her fake sincerity. "Can I help you?"

‭The intense group approaching her desk looked as if they were bound together. "Yes, we need some help to report a kidnapping," said the hawk-nosed male, with his narrowed eyes and desperate tone. He scanned the office as if he expected to be jumped. His companions spread out across the office.

She resisted the urge to huff, or worse, openly roll her eyes. It infuriated her that their kind always found the need to be so dramatic.

‭"What specifically is a -- kid -- napp -- ing?" Her question snapped the heads of the other three hovering humans toward her. She refused to wilt under their withering glares.

The eyes of Hawk Nose narrowed even as his eyebrows coked upward. "Seriously? I mean -- seriously? Someone kidnapped our friend. As in, they took him. Against his will."

A crest of soft blue feathers lifted off her scalp. That he dared to speak to her as if she were a half-wit fledgling sent a cold wave of resentment through her. ‭"I'm sorry," she said, her feathered eyelids blinked in anger. She picked up her stylus and pad, and glared back. "No one is available at the moment. I can fill out a report for you, but until the team gets back, you will have to wait. An upper level officer is required for the interview."