Chapter 29 Jack's Turn

The sound of a mobile buzzing across the nightstand snapped Jack awake at 5:10 in the morning. He didn't actually remember falling asleep, but Ianto was next to him, snoring lightly, so he must have. He grabbed it before it had the chance to vibrate across the table.

"Martha, what's wrong?" he whispered to keep from disturbing Ianto.

"It's been rough, but he's stable, and his temp has finally dropped. We're wiped, Jack; I can't go any further without sleep. Can you come stay with him while Hank takes us to his place?"

"Uh, yeah, but you have hotel rooms or the TARDIS, why Hank's?" He sounded and felt betrayed.

"He offered, just get in here, alright"

"I'll be right there," he answered sharper than he intended. He rolled over and traced a finger down Ianto's jawline before giving him a quick peck. He couldn't help smiling at the Welshman grumbling not now in his sleep. The thought of all the things he'd like to do at that moment broadened the smile. None involved slipping quietly out of bed, but he did. He had just pulled his braces up when Ianto raised up on one elbow looking at him with concern.

"Go back to sleep, he's okay. They just need me to stay with him while they get some sleep."

"I can come, Jack. I don't mind." His voice was still husky with sleep.

"No," Jack answered as he crossed back over to sit next to his partner. "The Americans have all gone home. I'll be fine."

"You'll call if you need me -- right?" Ianto sounded unsure.

"Yes, go back to sleep. When you're ready, just tell the old girl what you want, and she'll guide you to the galley."

"Really, just say -- what; is there a phone or something?"

Jack chuckled at the thought. "No, just think it or say it out loud, and then follow the path she makes."

He started to grab his great coat, but then traded it for a jacket, feeling half dressed as he walked out without his equivalent of a security blanket.

Ten minutes after she called, Jack stood outside the unit's doors, taking deep breaths to make sure his emotions were under tight control. Only a few hours ago, he'd walked out feeling useless and angry. With his hand on the door fingers spread wide, his mind raced with emotions he thought buried years ago. Every time that he wished, the stupid blue box would just appear in the Hub and when it finally did ... Jack had to admit, he wasn't just angry with Hank, he was jealous.

How pathetic was that?

Spending time with Ianto had helped him past the fury. He no longer wanted to put a fist in Hank's mouth, but he wasn't quite ready to play nice with the man either. He took another deep breath, shook the cobwebs from his brain and shoved the feeling under a rock. He pushed the button and entered when the door buzzed open. The girl sitting behind the desk seemed the only staff around. Common sense told him otherwise. The sight of the girl dressed in a scrub shirt with Halloween characters and jeans brought a snort from Jack. The outfit made her look about twelve. Jack chuckled inwardly. He had shoes that were older. He flashed a smile at the monitor tech as he stuck his wrist up to show his orange wristband. She barely glanced up as she took a swallow of her soft drink and nodded.

"You must be Jack Harkness," she said as she put the bottle down. "Cass said you were coming back. Let me know if you need anything, just wave at the camera, I'll see ya'." She sounded disgustingly cheery for so early in the morning.

Jack just nodded as he walked to the room feeling a bit as if he were headed for execution. Shadows fell across the bed, giving the room a creepy look. Thete looked as fragile as the vase Ianto had given Gwen at last year's Christmas party. His chest sank in a bit with each laboured breath fogging his mask as he inhaled the medicated mist. Jack could hear him struggle from the doorway. Despite the oxygen, a clip monitor on his finger measured his oxygen level at just ninety-two percent. How he could be stable when he looked as bad as the night before.