Where The Ledges End

Avian shifted uncomfortably in bed. It felt like the mattress had turned to stone. He pulled the blanket closer, but something about it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like a blanket. It felt more like a...

Rug! Avian thought as he sat up and found himself in Chunks' bathroom. ^^ was curled up next to him, still asleep.

Carefully he got up and tiptoed into the living room, where Chunks, Anaban, and BumBum were all sitting on the couch, huddling under the blanket and watching the news.

"Hey Avian," BumBum greeted. "How'd you sleep?"

"Decent," he decided to reply honestly. "^^'s still asleep. Mind if I join?"

Anaban scooted over so Avian could sit. The black blanket was way warmer and softer than that rug in the bathroom. The only thing that had kept Avian warm was ^^'s body heat.

When he looked at the channel they were watching, he immediately recognized the outskirts of the east side of town, and on the ground and part of an overgrown ledge was an unnatural, messy disoriented part of the ledge field. It made a staticky sound and occasionally flashed white or yellow.

"That must be the virus," Avian commented.

"It looks a lot like it," ^^'s voice came from the hall.

"Oh, good, you're up," Anaban told her. "Let's get moving. We have days of traveling ahead of us."

Letting out a sigh, Chunks turned off the TV and got up, BumBum and Anaban behind him.

"Well," Avian sighed. "Let's get going."

     *     *     *

"Goodbye, town," Avian muttered. "This could be the last time."

"Don't look back," Chunks told him. "However our journey ends, our adventure lays in front of us, not behind us."

"Man, you should be a priest," ^^ told him as she jump onto a ledge.

"Not in my life," Chunks replied.

As they moved on, Avian noticed that the wavy purple ground was evening out and turning more pink. "What do you think we'll see when we get further out there?"

"Only the Developer knows," Anaban said.

     *     *     *

Days had passed, and the ledges had grown thin and brittle, making the gang resort to the pink ground. "What's happening to everything?" ^^ asked.

"I've never seen anything like this," BumBum remarked. "So strange."

"Who knew things would be like this?" Chunks stated. "I can't even stand on ledges anymore without them crumbling."

"Maybe it's because you're fat," Anaban teased.

"Oh, shut up!" Chunks snickered, giving Anaban a playful nudge. "You're not any fitter than me."

They plodded along in silence, looking around, until Avian saw something behind a cracked ledge. "Hey, you guys see that?"

"See what?" Chunks joined him.

Avian jumped closer, and to his horror, saw a pinkish stomper, but it was far from alive. Part of its face was decayed, revealing a skull, and the floor around it was matted with its stars. A name tag laying next to it read "Dixie".

"Oh, gross!" ^^ exclaimed. "Who did this?"

"I don't know..." Chunks replied. "But we should watch out."