Six

TBH at this point the only reason I want Wally to come back is so he can be the emcee at Kiran and Kaldur's wedding with Cassie and still be working within canon.

But since Kiran's story is already canon-divergent anyway you never know ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If I wasn't so nervous, I would be dancing along with Mum and Dad as they blasted their favorite Bollywood dance numbers from the car's radio.

I fiddled with the cap on my lap, spreading the tassel out in a fan before twisting it all back together again.

"Oh Kiran!" Mum clapped her hands as the car jerked to a stop again, "we are so proud of you, you know that?"

"I know, Mama," I did my best to smile at her in the rearview mirror, while dad jerked the car to the side in an effort to get around a line of rickshaw carts.

In the backseat, Doctor Sandsmark was looking a little green. "There's so much traffic-" she stopped herself while the car rocked back and forth, "Are you sure we won't be late?"

"Don't worry, it's crowded like this all the time," Mum assured her. She rolled down the window to shout at another driver, going the other direction, to get out of the way.
She ducked back inside, and turned up the volume on Buddhu Sa Mann as a way of ignoring him.

From years of being her best friend, I knew that Cassie knew this song, and not only that, but it was her favorite Bollywood song. So why was she glued to her phone instead of singing along with my parents and trying to get me to shake off my nerves.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked, leaning over to her seat.

She grinned up at me, showing off her screen of red and gold. "I made a Pinterest board."

A Pinterest board for my wedding.

"Cassie!" I squealed, hiding my face in my graduation gown.

"What? If I leave you to plan it on your own with your knight in green and orange armor-" Cassie gagged "-You'd never get married!"

I threw my cap at her, flushed with laughter, or maybe it was the heat.

"Like you'd do much better with planning a wedding, you're the least organized person I know!"

Cassie stuck her tongue out at me and threw the cap back at me.

"Oh Kiran! Speaking of marriage, Karan- you know the wonderful young man at the top of our classes- is getting his Bachelor's tonight too!" Mum gushed.

"In business, no less!" Dad added. Since when did a career matter to them? They were professors, for crying out loud.

The car went quiet, except for the string music of Bolna, and Cassie leaned over to whisper to me, hoping to keep my parents oblivious.

"Have you told your parents about-"

"No, not yet," I slapped away her hand so it wasn't suspiciously cupped over her mouth when my parents looked back again.

"Nervous, Kiran?" Dad asked, a sympathetic look glinting off his dusty glasses lenses.

I nodded, my stomach flipping back and forth for more than one reason now.

"Don't be," He shook his head, "you've done everything already, all you have to do is grab a piece of paper that recognizes you've done it all!"

"Yeah. Onstage. In the spotlight. With everyone watching."

The adults weren't paying attention. As usual. But to Helena's credit, she was trying not to retch out the window and onto a cart of fresh fruits and vegetables.