𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐗

Three years later . . .

"SERIOUSLY, Harry." Bella pounded once on the bathroom door as she walked past. "Aren't you ready yet?"

His voice was muffled as he called from inside. "I just need another minute."

Bella trudged across her apartment. She didn't want to show up late to the party, especially knowing Harry was the guest of honor. Checking her watch once again, she sighed and plopped onto the couch. Even if they left now, there was no way they'd make it on time.

Bella took a moment to look around her living room. Her lease would be up in another month, and she and Harry had yet to find a place of their own. It wasn't for lack of searching. They spent the past two months looking at apartments and rental houses. Harry was antsy to sign on the dotted line, wanting to be out of Michael's hair and officially living with Bella as soon as his parole ended. She could sense Harry's frustration with her every time she turned down a place he liked; but she knew the surprise Michael had in store for tonight, and she didn't want to rush into anything.

Harry emerged from the bathroom, looking normal despite the amount of time he'd taken to get ready.

"Finally! Are you ready?"

"Yes." Harry didn't sound certain. He toyed with his shirtsleeves, unrolling them before changing his mind and pushing them above his elbows once again.

"Don't be nervous," Bella said. "It's just a small group of your friends, remember?"

Harry seemed confused at first. Then he shook his head and smoothed down his shirt one last time. "I know."

Bella frowned. Harry had been acting strange all week. She knew he didn't want Michael to throw him a party. He'd even tried to talk him out of it. Being the center of attention was never something Harry desired, but in the end he conceded, knowing a celebration was important to his friends.

Bella grabbed her purse from the end table and made her way to the door. Harry stood in place. He patted down his pockets, then glanced toward the bedroom, hesitating.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine."

Bella wasn't convinced, but Harry stepped toward her and took her hand before leading her to his car.

* * *

The pair entered the private room where the party was being held. All eyes turned to them, and a resounding cheer filled the room.

"There's the man of the hour!" Michael approached them with open arms. He hugged Bella and kissed her cheek before placing his hand on Harry's shoulder. "Congratulations."

"You already congratulated me." Harry smiled to let Michael know he appreciated the sentiment.

"It's worth being said again."

Jonah joined their small group, giving Harry a fist bump. "How does it feel to officially be a free man?" he asked.

"It feels good." Though Harry had lived the past three years outside the confines of Waterview State Correctional Facility, there was something refreshing about knowing his time had officially been served. There would be no more mandatory meetings or home inspections. His restrictions had all been lifted. He could finally put the past completely behind him. "Really good, actually. It's a relief."

"I'm happy for you, man."

"Congratulations, New Boy," Eliza interrupted. She threw her arms around Harry's shoulders, squeezing as hard as she could. "And you." Eliza released him from her arms and turned to Bella. "It's been too long."