𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

IN her entire life, Bella had never been as scared or nervous as she was driving to the pick-up area of Waterview State Correctional Facility. All day long her emotions ran on high. She retained absolutely nothing from her lectures that morning, causing her to wonder why she bothered going to class at all.

Bella parked the car in front of the building but didn't get out. She needed a moment to collect her thoughts. This was it—the day she had been both anticipating and fearing for the past twelve days. Not one of those days passed without her wondering if she should pull the plug, but without knowing how to reverse the damage already done, it would have meant enlisting Isaac's help. She wasn't ready to face her father, and she didn't want to hurt Harry by recanting her offer. He had been so excited when he called her with the final details of his release that she didn't have the heart to ask him to make other plans.

Bella tried to give herself a pep talk, but the little voice in her head wouldn't let her derive any comfort from it.

This is it.

This is the stupidest thing you've ever done.

Relax. It's just Harry.

Just Harry? You don't know him.

I know he won't hurt me.

He's going to chop you into little pieces.

He's not a murderer.

Not that you know of.

"Shut up!" she screamed.

A knock on the passenger window caused Bella to jump. She whipped her head to the side to see Harry standing next to her car, a wary expression on his face. Bella cracked the window.

"Hey," she said.

"Hi." Harry frowned. Bella looked on edge, and he could only assume it was because of him. "You okay?"

"Uh-huh."

Harry wasn't sure he believed her. He tried the handle; it was locked. "Bella?"

"Oh, sorry."

Bella's fingers hovered over the lock button. She entertained the idea of putting the car in drive and tearing out of the parking lot. Instead, she unlocked the door. Harry opened it and folded his tall frame into the small car.

For the first time, there was nothing between them. No guards, no bars, no phone, no walls. Nothing.

"Were you waiting long?" Bella tried to keep her voice sounding normal.

"No," Harry lied. His release had officially been finalized three hours ago, but he didn't want Bella to feel bad for wanting to attend class. Besides, it's not like he had anywhere important to be.

They drove away, and Harry watched the place he called home for the past 11 years disappear from view. From the corner of her eye, Bella noticed him chewing on his fingernails and tapping his foot.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You seem . . . nervous."

Harry shrugged.

"So how does it feel?"

"Like I'm going to wake up at any moment," he answered quietly. "Thank you again. I really appreciate this."

"You're welcome."

Bella watched him dig through the plastic bag he'd brought with him. She recognized her letters, but there didn't seem to be anything else inside. Harry pulled out a rectangular piece of paper.

"Can we stop at a bank?" he asked.

"Of course."

Harry unfolded the paper. It was a check. "How far do you think sixty-three dollars will get me these days?"