XIV

"Let me photograph you in this light,in case it is the last timethat we might be exactly like we werebefore we realised

in case it is the last time
that we might be exactly like we were
before we realised."
***

Rose was running as fast as she could through the Dragomir wing, towards Lissa's room, Dimitri running just in front of her. They burst through the door to see a very panicked Lissa, in Christians arms, next to Tasha and Alberta and Eddie on high alert, ready to attack at any given moment.

'Princess, we're going to put your suite in lockdown mode, no Strigoi will be able to get in. We won't be able to get out.'

Dimitri's harsh and professional words cut through the lingering panic, but Rose was faced with a harsh reminder. 'Comrade, you, stay here and protect Lissa.'

'What?' he exclaimed, 'no, don't you dare leave.'

'Your family,' she whispered, 'I need to bring them here. They don't have a guardian or a room that can go into lockdown.'

His eyes widened, his mask faltering, 'I'll go.'

'No, you stay here and protect the Princess. The Royals don't trust you, if they found out you left your charge to protect your family, you can forget ever finding a job again.'

'They're my family!'

'And they're mine too,' she whispered as she turned away and ran to the guest quarters in the Dragomir wing.

As she barged inside she saw them all, clutched together behind the dining room table. 'Follow me,' she ordered them.

They ran towards her and followed closely behind, she paused as she started feeling nauseous. Her hand clenching around her stake, she turned to Belikova's. 'Run. Don't stop, don't look back. Go to Lissa's room.' They hesitated and she roared, 'Now!'

Her breathing quickened as the Strigoi charged at her, her first thought to push a stake into his chest. But instead, she ducked and tackled him to the ground. As he laid on the floor, she had time to run to Lissa's room.

'You want to taste the Moroi?!' she yelled, 'Go ahead, follow me.'

He did as he was said and his red rimmed eyes blazed with anger as he followed her. She ran, her legs burning, bursting through Lissa's door.

'Rose!' Lissa screeched in relief.

But Rose was still being chased and she backed away, 'Sparky, a Strigoi is going to barge in any time now. I need you to use your fire and make sure he doesn't escape or come anywhere near us. But don't kill him.'

'What do you think you're doing?' Alberta yelled as the Strigoi barged inside.

But Christian did as he was told and soon enough the creature was encircled with fire.

'When I tell you to, you stop the fire and I need Dimitri and Eddie to tie the Strigoi up.'

Dimitri looked at her, 'Roza-'

'Do you trust me?'

'Yes.'

'Then do it, Comrade.'

And he did, as soon as Christian lowered the fire, Dimitri and Eddie charged at the the Strigoi. Holding him down and tying him on a chair. The Strigoi kicked and screamed, but with so many guardians, he stood no chance and soon he realised.

'Care to enlighten us?' Alberta snapped at Rose.

'The Court has more wards protecting it than St. Vladimir's. Then there are guardians on patrol as well. How did you get in?' she sneered at the Strigoi.

'Using the same tactics as in Russia, interrogating your Strigoi. Smart move,' the Strigoi hissed.

She turned around and pressed her stake firmly at the Strigoi' scheme, burning it's pale flesh. 'Your smart move would be to answer my questions.'

'You're going to kill me anyways.'

She nodded and as she closed her eyes she sucked all the darkness from Lissa into herself. A spark of madness in her eyes as she trailed the stake down the Strigoi's body, burning every inch it touched. Making it scream in agony. She smirked, 'True, but I can make it slow and painful. Or fast and without to much agony.'

'You have your fathers manners.'

'I don't know what the hell you're talking about.'

He started laughing, 'What? Don't tell me, you still haven't figured it out? God... that must be so frustrating... all these nightmares and-'

Rose's stake was pressed firmly against his neck, 'What the hell do you know about those?' He grinned, but shook his head, his lips sealed shut. Frustration filled Rose's body as she turned away, looking at Christian, 'Burn him, slowly.'

'I wouldn't do that,' the Strigoi threatened.

She smirked, 'And why not?'

'I wouldn't do that,' he repeated, a sadistic smile creeping in his lips, 'Rosemarie Andrea Mikaelson.'

Rage took over and she turned to Christian, 'Kill him, Sparky. Now.'

And he did as he was asked, the Strigoi screaming in agony as fire engulfed him. A few moments later, nothing was left of him, but a saddening pile of ash. Dimitri pulled Rose close to his chest, 'How did he know?'

A tear rolled down her cheek, 'I don't know...'