quatro.

k a r r i s

The hockey team continued to stride in worry and in anxiety. I could tell that their minds were all over the place as they tried to figure out exactly where their small junior coach went off to. I was ready to pounce, waiting eagerly for the right moment. I watched as Calum approached the window where the bell hung. I glanced at the pair of glasses that sat right below the window, just waiting to be discovered.

"Come on Cal, you're almost there," I whispered, coercing the hockey player from behind the door. The boy continued walking, inching closer and closer to the window. "Almost there…" 

Crunch.

Calum's foot stepped onto the specs, a light crunching noise filtering into our ears. The tall, tanned boy in all black looked down at his feet, lifting it up to find a pair of smashed glasses underneath his black shoe. Calum bent down, grasping onto the object and observing it in the moonlight beaming through the open window. He gasped, and even from behind the door I could feel his heart stop. 

"Oh my God!" Calum exclaimed, "holy crap! Holy crap! Holy crap!" 

"What happened?" Ashton asked, snapping his attention to his teammate. Calum was silent, not uttering a single word, and instead he simply held up the pair of bloody glasses. Ashton and the rest of the hockey team gulped, vision fixated on the black-rimmed wayfarer style frames that the boys knew were my signature. 

"They're Karris' glasses," Calum announced. 

"Ashton, we have to find Karris," Luke advised, "if she's seriously hurt, we're gonna have to call for help." 

Their team captain didn't argue, he just nodded in agreement. However, their plan was thwarted the moment a panicked shrill infiltrated all of our ears. Michael stood with one hand over his mouth and the other pointing out the window. The entire team rushed over, peeking their heads out. 

"Shit! Karris!"

"Oh my god!"

"We frigging killed her!"

"What the hell?!" Luke screamed, staggering backwards. He held onto his head, looking absolutely petrified.

"Dude she freaking jumped to her death! What the actual hell!?" Calum screamed. 

"She wasn't supposed to die!" Michael declared, "the prank went too effing far! Ashton this is your effing fault!" 

"We told you we didn't want to do this!" Calum shouted, grasping onto Ashton's arm. "You couldn't have just left her alone, man! Leaving the locker rooms messy is one thing, but we're freaking murderers because of your ass!" 

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Luke quipped, clutching onto his stomach. His already pale face became even more pale, as his body lost equilibrium. Luke plummeted onto the floor and a few members of the team came to his aid. He flipped his body on all fours as he vomited onto the floor.

"This is so messed up! Karris did freaking nothing but be nice to you Ashton and now she's dead! You're screwed up, man!" Michael hissed. 

"Look I know!" Ashton finally voiced. He grabbed the beanie on his head and threw it onto the ground in frustration. The way the moon's rays hit his face, I could see shining drops of tears welling up at the brim of his eyelids.

He was crying.

Ashton Irwin was actually crying. I couldn't believe it. He was a jerk, he was tough, and never let another get under his skin. But here he was, standing a mere six feet away from me with tears dribbling down his cheeks. Ashton never showed emotion except for anger or happiness. It was as if sadness was sucked out of his system from birth, leaving his tear ducts dry.