13: Unexpected Bonding

Start from the beginning

I suppose those brief glimpses into his new persona confused me on his character. He was a completely different person with the same face as my captor, it was as though I'd dealt with his evil twin. It was that single thought--that separation of the two that enabled me to speak with him now, laugh and joke and learn to like the Original that was Kol Mikaelson... "I'm sorry," he frowned at what I had decided to fill the silence with. "I heard you got killed in this universe, that that's why you're forced to stay here while everybody road trips back to Mystic Falls to see Rebekah and her kids..."

His shrug was automatic, "I'll see them at Christmas..."

"Who'd have thought she'd go back to get with Donovan--ey(?)" I cringed internally, the small talk a painful attempt at a distraction. He chuckled, that cold loneliness from his gaze finally lightening up. I felt our comfortable silence start to take an awkward turn, deciding on clearing up my set-up as a better distraction from my interrupted work-out. "I'll see ya later?" My facial expression winced once again with the question when I turned my back to him-- 'Of course I'll see him later, we live in the same house--stupid!'

"I'm sorry too..." I froze with his words, the grip on my phone and water bottle tightening as I dared a glance back. "I used to be a monster, and I'm sorry that's the guy you met in your old universe...I know it means nothing coming from me but--"

"No," I felt a smile prop up my lips with my interruption, "It means a lot..." And it did, because even though I had to put down the Kol that tormented me, knowing one who was once filled with just as much hatred as him and can understand why that man did what he did...it lifted that final weight from my shoulders that I thought I'd eradicated by snapping his neck and ramming a dagger into his chest. "Thank you..." I was finally allowed my exit, a smile refusing to leave my lips as the tension in my muscles was clouded by the relief and joy that filled my heart.

-TIME SKIP-

My hand glided across the cool marble of the kitchen worktop, the action halting when a basket of fruit became its barrier. I debated over which color of seedless grape would stow my hunger long enough for me to make a dinner decision, the music encouraging said snack halted when a familiar ringtone filtered through my ears.

I rolled my eyes before prodding the green phone in acceptance of the caller.

PHONE CONVERSATION

M - Seriously? You haven't even been out of New Orleans for 24 hours!

A - Is it a crime for me to be concerned?

M - It'll become one if your concern tilts into a more pestering lane.

A - Rude!

M - Honest... (I smirked, finding my lips automatically singing the word) Anyway, have you reached 'Mystic Falls' yet?

A - Yeah, we got here a few hours ago, and while the Mikaelsons settle into their mansion I get another look at the boarding house. They're gonna see Rebekah tomorrow while I go and see Bonnie--

M - Don't focus completely on that. You're with your family...Enjoy yourself--You don't have to feel selfish about having a good time.

A - Still--

M - Still nothing, now do as I say or else.

A - Yes ma'am! (Chuckles escaped both of us, mine deriving from the image of her saluting) So, how's it all going down there?

M - Great, I've already trained and started on another book.

A - And the company?

M - ... (I debated on the right word) Pleasant...

A - Really? Interesting... (I scoffed at her tone)

M - Don't start or I'll hang up.

A - What?! I'm just saying--

M - Wait, what's that? Sorry Ads I can't hear you--are you going through a tunnel? (I found my mouth making crackling sounds in order to avoid her probing questions around Kol and I managing to get along) I guess we'll have to speak tomorrow--Bye!

END PHONE CONVERSATION

I accidentally snorted at my actions while ending the call, plucking a red grape from the kitchen counter before finally tugging my earphones from their respective ears. My fingers drummed on the kitchen island with the debate of dinner, a variety of quick and easy meals rushing through my thoughts as though I'd pulled a randomize leaver--my unorthodox methods ceasing when the clearing of a throat forced me from my reverie. "I'm pretty sure I've already scolded you once for creeping on me today," I raised a pointed brow at the smirking brunette.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he attempted an aura of innocence, my eyes rolling at the act.

"Did you want anything, Kol?" I decided on a polite approach, our earlier conversation again clouding my more crueler judgment.

"Yes. In fact," he took a step in approach, cupping his hands behind his back before laying out his offer. "From the time you've spent here I've learned cooking isn't your strong suit--"

"Oh yeah, 'cause you're Chef Ramsey(!)"

He grinned at my annoyed interruption, "Fine. The pair of us are rather useless..."

His grin only seemed to widen when my eyes narrowed, "Get to the point, vamp boy."

"I simply thought that because we have five weeks of uninterrupted company," the side door was prodded open to reveal the dining room-- "Why not start on a good foot?" My jaw went slack with the sight of the gourmet meal, fairy lights strung up as a fireplace and candles encouraged my entrance into the comforting glow of the room; the scene reminded me of Enzo surprising Bonnie during the years of Elena's magic-induced coma.

"Are you insane(?)" I found myself laughing from the shock, "Why all this effort?" I found his eyes, my questions receiving the careless shrug he was so fond of.

"I suppose, that maybe you were possibly, perhaps just a little bit--"

"Get to the point already," his grin returned in retort to my impatience.

"Maybe you were right about me needing to make friends outside of my family..." A chair was neared, his arms gripping its top before pulling it out in motion for me to sit. "And there are very few people in this world I can stand..."

"I suppose I should count myself lucky then," I followed his silent orders and took my seat, the thousand-year-old Original filling the space across from me with a whoosh of air. I gripped my flute of water, "To the blossoming of our unconventional friendship..."

He smirked in response, clinking his glass against mine-- "To us..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXHeTcxQy4... (Chelsea Dagger By The Fratellis)

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Thanks for reading x