13: Unexpected Bonding

Start from the beginning

"He's had fifteen years of me," I waved off her reasoning.

"Fine," her own eyes narrowed, "Then how about; you need to go to Mystic Falls anyway and discuss that spell with Bonnie..." I hesitated with her final push. "There'd be no point in me coming, they have no idea who I am and I'm finally settled here--why disturb that?"

"But leaving you here alone. I'll be gone for over a month, Madi..."

"It's five weeks!" She tried to hush my worries.

"You say that as if it isn't a long time..."

"Well," another careless shrug escaped her, "I went a lot longer thinking you were dead. And anyway, I'm sure I can find something around here to keep me entertained--that and I promise we'll speak every night if either of us needs it."

My nerves rose as I felt my resilience decreasing, "You're sure?"

I hated the thought of her winning the argument, my eyes automatically rolling when I had to endure the gloating smirk that coated her lips, "Positive. You've got nothing to worry about..."

THE NEXT DAY

MADISON POV

https://66.media.tumblr.com/765952d0cc3f58c1cebc0c7bda17ca9a/tumblr_p6rkw8g09w1vp2vjao3_250.gif.

My fists ached and muscles protested loudly as the punching bag was met with heavy blows, my body never ceasing in reminding me of the break I'd taken from maintaining my physical fitness

My fists ached and muscles protested loudly as the punching bag was met with heavy blows, my body never ceasing in reminding me of the break I'd taken from maintaining my physical fitness. I forced my legs upwards, reveling in the materials slap against the skin while my breathing increased with the efforts. Music blared from my phone and echoed throughout the empty compound--well, almost empty compound. With a final fierce kick and some aid from my mind's concentration, the bag snapped from its chain and was flung towards my workout's sole audience member. He caught it with a puff of air, forcing back up a smirk when my glance finally offered him the time of day.

"You know if you were less of a creeper than you might have more friends." A bottle was guided to my lips, loud gulps ceasing my further teasing.

"But that would mean I would no longer be available to keep you company," his eyebrows danced as my victim was carried towards me.

"The horror(!)" My words encouraged chuckles from his lips as I reached down to silence my screaming phone.

"You're always so mean to me," the chain was reattached for me.

"You act like your past actions don't permit it," my brow raised in a challenge.

"I admit," he raised his hands defensively, "In hindsight, could've been nicer to people," his shoulders bounced in a contemplative shrug.

And then his gaze changed, the playfulness in our manner dissipating when a comfortable silence enveloped the room and foreign emotions entered his eyes...That seemed to be the strangest change of this universe; the Originals--well, the ones I crossed paths with in the old universe anyway. Kol was playful and comedic; a perfect representation of the man I remember the young witch Davina charming to be better. Yet without her influence here he had managed to exist without killing and tormenting, he even seemed to spend moments in confused silence, remorseful emotions coating his features as I assumed he thought back on all the horror he'd caused. This was my first moment alone with this universes' product of Kol, any prior contact of his teasing or my responses of banter typically interrupted by one of his brothers, or sisters, or niece while my best friend remained guardian of the entire interaction.