13 | Who The Hell Is He?

Aubrey Valentina

"Why are you here Maddox?" I questioned. 

"Because I—"

The flight attendant interrupted him from the speaker. "Last call for Flight 0231 from Boston, Massachusetts to Rome, Italy."

I sighed. "I really have to go, Maddox."

"I know. That's why I bought a ticket," He smiles, holding up a paper and his passport.

Before I could say anything else, he took my hand in his and we walked to our seats, which were surprisingly right next to each other.

"Maddox?"

"Yes?"

I felt like scolding him. The last thing I needed right now was him here. And I'd have to bring him home to my parents... my siblings.

I looked at him and asked. "So what are you doing here?"

"When I want something Valentina, I go for it. I've always been like that. I also have never been in tune with my feelings, but I think I am now. Cause when I'm with you, I actually feel. I know it sounds fûcking stupid and corny as shìt..."

I smiled. "It's not stupid, or corny."

He nods his head and looks out the window. I play a movie on my tablet and enjoy the silence.

•••

The plane lands and we arrive. The sun is rising here, but for us it would be about evening time. We are instructed to unbuckle or seatbelts and take our carryons out the door.

Maddox rags along behind me and looks all around the airport. Many people are walking around with suitcases in hand. Children sleep in their parents arms and every once in awhile you'll see someone yelling angry Italian at a security guard.

"Do you speak any Italian, Maddox?" I asked.

"I know enough to get by."

We make it to baggage claim to get my suitcase and we go outside to find my father's driver holding up my name on a sign. Paparazzi take pictures of us as we hog over to the car, my dad's guards pushed them away as they bombarded me with questions in Italian.

"Valentina Romano is back in Italy!"

"How's college back in America?"

"Who's your mystery man?"

"Are you excited to see your sister's new clothing line? Are you planning on modeling it?!"

"Will you take over your father's company along side Lorenzo?"

"Are you pregnant?"

"Is it mystery boy's?"

Pregnant?! Since my return to Italy last year I've been put on a spotlight around here. My dad was a lot more famous in Italy than he was in The U.S.

We safely make it to the car and Maddox looks at me curiously.

"What the hell just happened?"

"Paparazzi," I laughed

He rolled his eyes. "Obviously. But what were they saying? I couldn't catch on to any words but mystery, clothing line and boy."

"It's nothing. My father is just really big around here."

I really hope he doesn't see the articles before I make it home.

We drive for however long it took to get home. I enjoyed the sweet silence but felt jittery at the same time. I grew to love my family so much this past year and I didn't want them to think bad of me because of this.

We pulled up to the large mansion and I had never really grown used to. The driver took our things into the house and Maddox and I walked in. No one heard us because it was Saturday morning breakfast, a weekly tradition. Everyone was in the kitchen cooking and eating, especially since today was Luca's birthday.

"They're all in the kitchen," I told Maddox.

He whispered back. "You should go in first if they see me they'll probably thing I'm a robber or something."

I shook my head. "Don't be silly. I'll just say you are here because I invited you."

"You don't have to—"

I interrupted him. "Enough. Follow me."

I ran through the hallway with King's hand in mine and into the kitchen and jumped up and yelled "SUPRISE!"

I really shouldn't have surprised a mafia family. In just a few moments a plate was thrown my way, someone presses the emergency switch that alerted our guards and dad aimed his gun at me.

Amongst the chaos I screamed. "It's just me! Valentina!"

Dad still hasn't lowered his gun. "But who the hell is he?"

I turned and noticed he was looking at Maddox. Before I could introduce him Maddox spoke up, "I am Maddox King, sir. I believe our father's know each other. His name is William King. He lived in France and then Los Angeles."

I didn't know that.

My dad lowered his gun. "I do believe I remember your father..."

My mom interrupted. "Mia ragazza! Valentina," she smiled and gave me a hug.

I hugged her back and all my siblings came and gave me hugs.

Lorenzo went up to Maddox and gave him a stern look. He said something along the lines of "if you ever hurt my little sister I will fück you up. This is your only warning."

Maddox scratched the back of his neck. I could tell he wasn't really nervous or intimidated by my brother or my dad. He was oddly calm...