STORY OF THE CHUBBY 18

Start from the beginning

I felt myself tense a bit. That meant I needed to tell him about Alex. Didn’t it?

‘You don’t have to tell me, by the way,’ he said quickly when he noticed my hesitation. ‘I just...needed some kind of consolation that I’m not the only one.’

I twiddled my thumbs. What was it about this year?  All this time in high school and I’d already opened up to three people already about my life. Could I trust Ash?

‘How familiar are you with Down’s Syndrome?’

He looked puzzled. Clearly he wasn’t expecting that at all. ‘Why?’ he asked, a little guarded.

‘Just answer the question,’ I said.

‘Well, not so much. But I knew of someone who had it...well my baby cousin to be specific,’ he answered, looking into the distance. ‘Sweet little kid. Died when he was three, though.’

Well I’ll be damned. ‘If you met someone with it right now...how would you react?’

He looked as if he was about to say something but he decided against it and said instead, ‘Normally. I don’t know...why would I react differently? Why all these questions, Chubby?’

I sighed, in relief maybe. Well, he might be saying it for the sake. Then again, he just told me his cousin had Down’s too.

‘I have a sister, with Down’s,’ I started and I could see the surprise in his eyes, ‘and my parents don’t really...I’m not sure how to say this even. I’m like the unplanned baby. They wanted Alex only because she would be a bit of a handful so when I came along...they weren’t exactly happy.’

He nodded, looking a bit thoughtful, ‘So they pay a lot of attention to your sister and shower her with all the affection.’

‘Spot on,’ I said, with a humourless laugh. I was also amazed at how he figured that out easily and I wasn’t even sure I’d explained it well. Why on earth was I telling Ash this again? I really did hope I wouldn’t regret this. I mean, I hadn’t told Chris about this part and I was telling Ash!

‘You know I can’t even tell,’ he said giving me a sad smile. ‘You just seem to have some sort of perfect life that you don’t seem to want anyone in. Well except Sammy and Raul and recently Chris.’

I shrugged, ‘Well now you know. And you? The bad boy image? That’s like all an act?’

He sighed and rested his chin on his hands which were on his knees, ‘Well, yea. I mean it started out that way but then I realised it made me a sort of chic magnet, so I guess that’s a plus, right?’ He asked with a smirk and I had to laugh.

‘I wouldn’t know, Ash,’ I said, with a wink then turned to look at the field. Did I just wink at Ash?

‘Did you just wink at me, Chubby?’ He asked and I could practically hear the smug in his voice. And my cheeks actually had the nerve to heat up!

‘Whatever, Ash....by the way...what’s Ash short for?’ I asked, turning to look at him.

I think he’s neck had started reddening but I couldn’t be sure...

‘Ummm...Well would you look at the time?’ I looked at the bare wrist he was looking at...Wha-? ‘Let’s get you to class, Chubby.’

‘Really now, Ash. I’ll get it out of you sooner or later,’ I said, laughing as we stood up and started off towards our classes.

‘Hopefully later,’ he said, smirking.

‘Until then I’m making Google my friend. I’ll get it,’ I said, walking towards the doors of school.