Chapter 34

Uma glowed in a teal and gold mermaid style dress as she entered the grand staircase.

Syl had to admit that Uma's gown was exquisite, with tiers of sea colored tulle and delicate nets threaded into the pieces of the fabric. Her hair was up in a bun, and she wore dark fingerless gloves and carried a turquoise clutch. Her gold shell necklace shimmered against her chest. Uma smiled kindly at Ben and walked down the steps to meet him.

Ben hissed his beast head ring on Uma's finger.

Syl and Jay exchanged confused glances with their friends while Mal looked on with tear filled eyes.

Ben linked his arm with Uma's and lead her to Mal. "I'm sorry. It all just happened so fast," Ben told Mal.

Mal started at him.

"Something happened to me when I was on the Isle with Uma." Ben looked at Uma dreamily. "A connection."

Syl narrowed her eyes. From what her friends had said, Uma had kidnapped Ben.

Uma giggled.

Mal shook her head. "I'm sorry... what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that-" Ben began.

"It was love!" Uma smiled at Mal. "I just I realized how alike Ben and I are, you know?"

Syl raised an eyebrow. Uma was a pirate who had no qualms about kidnapping people to get what she wanted. Ben was a king who would trap spiders and let them free instead of squishing them.

"We are," said Ben.

"I know!" Uma beamed.

Mal looked at Ben. "Ben."

Uma giggled and pulled Ben close.

"Ben," Mal said a little louder.

He looked at her.

"Did you go back for her?" Mal asked. Syl looked at Jay to see him scowl at Ben and Uma. She leaned up on her toes to whisper to him. "Did Ben and Uma have a connection?"

"I wasn't paying attention. I was too busy trying to save him," Jay growled.

"He didn't have to," Uma was telling Mal. "I dove through the barrier before it closed. And I'm an excellent swimmer so... Listen, Mal. I just want to say thank you. I really do." She giggled again. "For everything. Just... thank you." She threw her arms theatrically around Mal, giving her a tight embrace that made Mal recoil.

"Don't you see, Mal?" said Ben. "You were right! See? You knew that we weren't meant to be together. That's why you never told me that you loved me. Thank you."

Mal stared at him, speechless.

Uma beamed at Ben, who had a glazed expression on his face. They joined together and waltzed across the deck. Evie lead a stunned Mal away from them and Syl followed them with Jay, the rest of their friends following behind them.

Mal was shaken, and she couldn't take her eyes off Ben. Carlos held one of her arms and Evie held the other for support. Syl and Jay stood next to them, watching Uma and Ben dance a cotillion waltz in front of the surprised crowd.

"Not too thrilled I risked my life for him," Carlos said bitterly.

"We're with you Mal," Lonnie said as she joined them, resting a hand on Mal's arm.

Jay stared at Mal. "Let's get out of here. Come on."

The crowd quickly cleared a path for them as Jay and Syl flanked Mal and Evie, heading toward the stairs to leave. Beast and Belle gasped as they watched Mal be lead out.