s t e v e

in which steve and (y/n) were sent to retrieve the soul stone ...

The moment you knew was the most heart wrenching feeling you've ever experienced in your life

The moment you knew was the most heart wrenching feeling you've ever experienced in your life. It was like a realization of your destiny as it dawns on you and the complexity of what your about to do. A numbness of sorts taking over your whole body until you felt paralyzed, the thought consuming your mind fully. The cold only became bitter against your skin, body glazing over with a tingle of emptiness making your body stiff as your heartbeat quickens.

But then you look at him.

He stands there with his hands in his hair tugging at the roots in frustration and you realize not only what'll it'll cost you, but what it'll gain him. And you finally know that you don't have a choice but rather a fate. A fate to save not only the world but him. You need to do this for Steve because you love him enough to risk your life to save his.

"A soul for a soul."

The words leave your lips without warning causing Steve to shoot his head up, eyes narrowing in on you. You don't realize the small tear that has escaped your eyes, glistening against your glowing skin from the maroon sky casting over head. He watches as your eyes quickly flicker to the cliff, the edge visible and causing a certain coldness to consume your heart.

"(Y/N)..."

"You know how this ends."

Your lip trembles as your tear stricken eyes look back at his, blue eyes swallowing a deep void of realization. He quickly struts towards you in two long strides and cups your face. His eyes are fear stricken, wide and alert as they pierce your own. You realize that there are golden flecks hidden within his glistening pools of sapphire.

"There's no other way-"

"Yes there is! We just-we just have to figure it out."

You shook your head and watched as tears began to fill in his eyes, threatening to fall. Bringing your hand up to his cheek you wiped away the single tear that broke from the barrier, smiling sadly up at him. You watched as he clenched his eyes shut while he ever so gently rested his forehead against your own, savoring the feeling of you so close.

"You can't do this to me. It's not fair." His voice broke and you felt as if your whole heart was being ripped apart in front of you at his tone.

"It isn't." You whipsered, "but so is not going through with this. I'm just one person out of billions that need to be saved."

"Let me do it." Steve pleaded as he pulled away to look back in your eyes and you found his face wet and crimson as tears continued to fall. "Let me do this (Y/N), I can't watch you-"

"You have a family Steve. You have people that love you and need you here. You have a life."

"You are my life (Y/N)! Why can't you see that." Steve yelled in frustration while backing away, tugging at his roots again. "If you die I won't forgive myself because being in a world without you in it, that's a world I don't want to live in."

You feel your lip tremble at his words, pent up emotions finally tearing apart. Within seconds you pull him down towards you as you crash your lips against his. He doesn't hesitate to kiss back and you put every single emotion you can muster into the kiss.

He grips you waist, pulling you closer until you feel his whole body against yours. It seems so right being like this. Feeling loved. Tears are mixed between your connected lips, a salty taste lingering on your tastebuds. You all but will yourself to savor the feeling of his soft and plump lips against yours for the first time. Because it'll be the last.

"I love you so much." You say as you break away from the kiss but you feel your heart race as you take in his features...for the last time. "Please forgive yourself...for me."

Steve seemed to freeze in his place, your words dawning on him but he was too late. You were already running. It felt as if time had slowed down, your feet hitting the concrete echoing in your ears along with the sound of his voice yelling, pleading your name as he chased after you.

You kept running though, eyes trained on the snow falling against your face and you found your eyes stuck on the view in front of you because it was beautiful...peaceful. You heard your name being called one last time before the ground beneath your feet seemed to disappear.

Then, everything went black as Steve was transported into water, a single stone placed in the palm of his hand as tears fell from his eyes while a certain void took over his body as you weren't by his side anymore.