s t e v e

in which you come to terms with steve leaving you to be with peggy ...

Your heart has never felt so heavy yet empty at the same time. Like a stone was weighing down your chest, but there was also an unfulfilled void taking over you...spreading. Destroying. Your body was already acting on its own, salty tears leaking down your face and onto your quivering chin distastefully.

But no sound escaped from you- not a single sob or even a whimper of sorrow. You knew better. You were stronger than this. Willing yourself to stand up, shaky legs threatening to collapse, you took one small step back from the vanity. Your shaky hand letting go of the object it currently held and let it fall back onto the wooden top, resonating a small but deafening clank of metal and wood.

The compass remained opened in front of you, as if it was taunting you in some way, and you made yourself look away. Too afraid to let out the strangled sob that wanted to escape. You knew deep down that this would happen, that he would find her. They always seemed to find each other in this big and cruel world...his world. A world that didn't include you. Peggy Carter had once again won over not only Captain America, but Steve Rogers.

Your Steve Rogers...or so you thought.

You just wish that he would have prepared you for this. Prepared you for your heart to be broken, but that's impossible. You can't mend a broken heart back together if a piece of it is missing. And if Steve Rogers leaves you like you knew he will, he'll be taking a piece of your heart with him.

As if the world was acting against you as much as it seemed to be, loud footsteps made its way into the small bedroom before ceasing in the doorway abruptly. Your throat clenched shut and chest tightened as you awaited his voice to confront you. You could hear him let out a breathy exhale in the silence but that was all it was.

Silence.

He didn't utter a word much to your dismay and solace, because frankly he didn't know what to say. Instead you slowly turned to face him, glistening eyes meeting his and you watched as pain shot into his sapphire orbs as he finally got a look at your face. You felt anger rise in your throat, because he didn't get to feel pain. Not when you were the one being left behind.

"Were you going to tell me?" You finally manage out and you've never sounded more broken. Your voice wavered making it go a few octaves quieter, chin quivering as you spoke and eyes filling with newly made tears. "Or were you just going to leave me. Keep me waiting for you to come back when really you weren't."

"I-"

"You told Bucky didn't you. Was he happy? Happy that his best friend was the one leaving this time instead of the other way around, but willingly of course." You spat out and you watched as Steve's nostrils flared and a frown made itself present on his face. You waited a few seconds for him to say something, anything but it never came. "What about Sam? The one guy that actually kept you going when you thought everyone didn't care about Steve Rogers, only Captain America... What about me?"