A Visitor

October 3rd Back in Math Class.

I opened Marcus's journal and flipped past several pages of musical compositions, and landed on Cemetery Love Song and the portrait he'd sketched of me in his free time. I still wore his coat. He'd left the journal behind one evening. Madison leaned over her desk and caught a glimpse of the journal before I could close it.

"Secret admirer? Do tell."

"This is none of your business, Madison."

"Who is Marcus Marble?"

I spun around to face her. "What did you just say?"

"The name doodled all over your notebook says Marcus Marble." She tossed it back onto my desk. "Does Declan know about this?"

"There's nothing that Declan needs to know. He and I are not together anymore. He cheated on me, okay. Just stay out of my business."

"So you're using this guy to pay him back for what he did? He said he was sorry."

"It's not like that. I'd never use Marcus. And I'd never forgive Declan."

"So, this is a real thing, with this guy, isn't it?"

"Fuck off." I spun back around. Ten seconds later, the teacher called on me.

"Miss Eleanor Piper. Please come solve problem number three on the black board."

I walked smugly to the front of the class and as I wrote the numbers on the board, I chanted: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-" I scraped the chalk against the board to make that blood curling sound that makes you cringe.

"Stop the nonsense, Miss Piper."

"-While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping. As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."

I tapped the chalk against the board.

"Stop it, I said."

My voice grew more theatrical. "Tis some visitor," I muttered. "-Tapping at my chamber door-Only this and nothing more."

"Stop it this instant!"

I dropped the chalk and it hit the floor and shattered like a dehydrated china doll.

"There's one thing you're going to understand. This is Calculus. Now sit down."

The chorus of Neanderthals stifled their laughter.

My seat was near the back of the room, the row next to the windows. I had a great view of the school yard. I watched the October wind blow through the trees and make the grass dance. Autumn was gorgeous. Leaves turned the color of fire. I heard a shuffle outside, a flutter. A flapping of wings. Around the bush the white raven flew and perched himself in the tree branch outside the classroom and eyed me. I wasn't sure if it was the same raven from before. I tried to look for a tell-tale sign that it was him, but the raven's eyes looked blue today, and not sea green.

When the bell rang, he flew away.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

https://www.facebook.com/raehachton/

https://twitter.com/RaeHachtonYA

https://www.instagram.com/raehachtonya/