The Kiss

His eyes glistened. I'd never seen eyes that bright or that green. His were emblazoned by a dark symphony. When he blinked his lashes spread below his bottom lid like satin spider legs, a million wishes could be made upon them, in exchange for these nightmares.

I lay beside him on a grave, below an unmarked and unadorned tombstone, next to the iron cemetery gates-black and bedighted by beauty.

If heartbeats could echo from the grave, they'd be faint, almost like whispers. Like his lingering ambivalence near my lips.

The night wrapped us in shadows and resonating heartache, that we spun into beauty, leaving gossamer traces behind.

"Why do you want to die?" he softly asked me, his voice a soothing dark whisper. But despite his genuine concern, I didn't like how he already knew the darkest part about me.

I stumbled for words. "That's...Why would you...?"

"It's just a question." His forehead was nearly pressed to mine and it took me a good minute to realize the reason I shivered was because he was lightly drawing circles on my skin. His black hair blended into my red hair. Even our legs touched. I didn't mind the coolness of the wet grass or the roughness of the stone. Not when I was lying here like this with him. I felt strangely calm, even though I shouldn't've.

"A very rude question at that. Why do you want to know so much about me for?" I wanted to be mad-mad at myself, and at him, this gorgeous stranger, but I couldn't.

"I'm intrigued."

"The fact that I want to die fascinates you?"

"No. No, that's not what I meant." He gazed into my eyes. "I just want to know you. I want to know why someone so beautiful would want to die?"

That was it, he'd said enough. I was definitely leaving for good this time. I untangled myself from him and leapt up.

"You can take all your cheap flattery and go use it on someone else because it's not working on me. You think you can just follow me around and say lines of bullshit to get me to kiss you? I don't think so. I don't even know who you are, and right now I don't want to know you. All I know is that you've got five seconds to get lost before I get extremely angry and kick your ass."

He laughed a little, a grin on his face. "Are you mad at the entire world or just a few people?" He slowly stood and put his body weight against the tree.

I raced over to him, threw my arms around his damn neck and gave him a fast, angry kiss. "There. Now will you go?"

"No." He quickly pulled me into him, wrapping his arms around me and kissed me so deeply and passionately as though he thought the world was ending. His fingers entangled in my hair and I might've grasped him back. It was a real kiss that left me a little light headed. I had never been kissed that way before. When he pulled away, we were both breathless, but he didn't let me go. My heart was pounding and his lips rested at the base of my throat.

"Wow...Who are you?" I breathed.

"I thought you had a boyfriend,"-he quivered- and you didn't want to know me." He slowly loosened his hold of me, and backed away.

"I do. Have a boyfriend."

"Well, you certainly didn't push me away." He grinned.

"I should have. I'm leaving now."

"Of course you are."

The echo of being in a stranger's arms felt like a wilting flower being brought back to life. Mysterious and hauntingly romantic. A stranger he was not.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

https://www.facebook.com/raehachton/

https://twitter.com/RaeHachtonYA

https://www.instagram.com/raehachtonya/