2. friday night, september 2003

Start from the beginning

"I just got here really." He shrugged. He looked her up and down, taking in her whole image. Her hips were hugged by a thin short skirt made of a red silk material and a plain black top with two thin straps holding it up. You could see every bone definition and tone of her body.

"Well have you had something to drink? I'll show you where Brian keeps the good stuff." She winked. Alex let out an awkward laugh. "You scrub up quite well you know." She smiled at him. He basked in her confidence.

"Thanks." He smiled. She smiled back and put her mascara in her bra and pushed it up slightly.

"Do I look okay?" She asked, his eyes widened.

"Uh, yeah. You look...great." He stumbled, she grinned. He almost passed out at the sight, he had never seen someone smile like that. It was like the whole of the galaxy had just been shown to him.

His eyes followed her as she climbed up onto the window sill and opened the window. She pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter.

"You're cute, Alexander. You got a girlfriend?" She asked. He hadn't expected those kinds of questions. He perched himself on the side of the bathtub and shook his head.
"That's a shame. You seem like you'd be a good boyfriend." She complimented, then looked down at the tiles. "Could probably teach mine a thing or to" she muttered. She looked up again at him. "I reckon with a leather jacket and a better music taste, I could get you a girlfriend." She started laughing so Alex joined in.

"What's wrong with my music taste?" He laughed. She shrugged.

"Bowie and the Beatles are so basic. You have to be unique to get anywhere in life." She informed him, blowing out smoke as she spoke.

"Well, what's your music taste?" He asked, trying to be more confident like Matt had told him.

"No, Alexander!" She burst, "it's not unique if you're stealing someone else's." She waved her cigarette between her fingers as she spoke. She put it out and threw it out the window. "Have a listen to The Strokes. They're cool." She advised, climbing off the window sill.

"Come on, let's get you something to drink." she winked, leading him out of the bathroom.

Alex followed her in awe, people said hello to her wherever she went. They practically worshipped her.

Matt saw Alex's mop of a hair in the distance and stood on his tip toes to try and see where he was going. He saw his eyes, full of desire, following a blonde girl and felt nothing but pride for his mate.

Alex followed Luna down some stairs into what he assumed was a basement. There were new smells down there that Alex had never experienced before and he wasn't sure he wanted to experience.

"Here." She said, opening a fridge full of beers and liquors. "How many do you need?" She asked. Alex shoved his hands into his jean pockets awkwardly.

"Three, I think." He thought of himself, Matt and Sam. "For my friends." He felt he needed to add. Luna smirked as she pulled out four. Alex had never seen the label before but assumed it's because he didn't drink much.

"Can I meet them?" She smiled sweetly. Alex could tell it was the sort of smile that could get anyone to do anything.

"S-sure." He breathed out.

Matt was stood in the same place as when Alex left. His eyebrows raised as he watched his best mate make his way over to him with the prettiest girl he had ever seen.

"Hey, Al. Did you find beer?" He asked. Alex broke into a smile and turned to the girl behind him.

"I'm Luna. I got the beers. You're Alexander's friends, I assume?" She smiled her beautiful smile and both their mouths fell open.

"Yeah. You're Brian's bird right?" Sam took a beer from her and her smile dropped slightly.

"Uh, yeah. That's how I know where the good stuff is." She waved the beers and handed another one to Matt.

"Thanks. I'm Matt, Al's best mate. This is Sam." He introduced them. Luna smiled at both of them and then put her arm around Alex. He tensed up at the touch.

"Nice to meet you guys. I'm Alexander's English partner." She squeezed his shoulder and then dropped her arm.

"Do you live in High Green too?" Matt asked, she nodded. Alex took a swig of his beer and his eyes widened, it was very strong.

"Yeah, Wesley Road." She answered, Alex's ears perked up.

"No way. You're one road over from Matt and I." He said confidently. Matt was surprised that he could be so normal around a pretty girl.

"That's so cool. You lads didn't go to West Green though did you?" She asked. West Green was for the 'better off' kids as Alex's mum liked to say. It was no wonder Luna went to West Green.

"No, we went to East Green." Matt answered. Alex nodded.

"Ah, that's where all the fun people went." She nudged Alex, he stared at the floor. That's how Matt expected him to react.

"Luna!" Someone yelled. She turned around to see her two best friends, Joanna and Kate.

"Oh, I got to go but it was nice to meet you both." She smiled graciously. "See you in English, Alexander." She touched his arm and all his words got stuck in his mouth.

"Uh-erm-uh-Yeah." He stumbled. She just grinned and tapped her beer on his before walking over to her friends.

"Didn't realise you two were close friends" Matt's eyebrows raised. Alex moved his hair out of his eyes and shrugged.

"We talk in English sometimes. I wouldn't say we're close." He replied. "She's just friendly, I guess."

"Uh-huh." Matt nodded, a smirk plastered across his face.