Chapter Sixteen - Send It Out

When the song ended, I opened my eyes, unaware that somewhere in the process I had closed them tight. I looked at the floor and squinted, I wasn't even sure if I'd sounded any good.

"Holy shit." One of the J's exclaimed. "That was incredible."

"You're not kidding." Kat's voice exclaimed through the speaker. I looked up at where Evan had been standing, he was still there, his arms folded across his chest and a perplexed look on his face.

The producers played the recording back, and the five of us stood there listening to the raw cut of the song. It was hard to believe it was even me singing, I sounded different, unrestrained.

I'd tried hard to place a veil over my heart for so long, but it seemed that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do that when it came to singing.

When the song ended I swallowed back a ball of fear. Even I had to admit that the J's and I sounded like we were made to be, a match made in heaven... and what's worse is that I actually liked them, and their sound. But I wasn't in this for the long haul.

"Alright, we'll start with the bass line. Everyone else can come out. Ela, I need to have a word with you."

I looked at Kat and frowned. A word with me? I was nothing more than Evan calling in a favor. I wasn't part of the record company and therefore didn't need to have private chats with a producer.

Unless... maybe it was about Evan.

I nodded and followed the others out, I brushed past Evan and followed Kat out the doors and into the corridor.

"Come, my office is down here."

We began to walk and the door opened behind us.

"Kat?" Evan's voice called. "Should I be coming?"

"No." Kat exclaimed as she stopped. She turned to look back toward the door. "We'll only be a minute."

I heard Evan sigh, though he closed the door anyway. Kat opened another door and held it open as she ushered me inside.

Her office was surprisingly tame, considering her tattoos and brightly colored hair, I'd half been expecting a similarly decorated office. She walked to the chair behind the desk and sat down before gesturing me to do the same on the other side of the desk.

"Alice..." She spoke my real name like its nothing, my stomach dropped and I went to stand and run from the room. "Relax. Your secret is safe, I promise you."

"You're not the first one in the patchwork family to harbour some confusion about what they want to do. My dad once promised to help Scarlett pretend to be someone else... and her dad and my dad are really close. Confidentiality is key."

I frowned, I'd forgotten that Kat held a spot in the patchwork. Her father had been there since the beginning, he'd once saved Scarlett from being killed when she was pregnant with Jackson.

"So, you know who I am." I whispered. "What do you want with me?"

"Emperor records wants you." she whispered. "I asked Evan to pitch the idea when you were here on Friday, but he refused."

I smiled.

"He cares about you." Kat murmured. "But I also think a part of him is happy for you not to pursue this music thing after whatever it is you two are doing."

"Oh we're not like that?" I exclaimed, though it came out sounding like a question.

"Right." Kat replied, sounding completely unconvinced. "Anyway, I have to talk about it with the four Jay's... but I think they might want to add an "Ela and the..." as a prefix to their name. I want you to seriously think about it Alice. You have an amazing raw talent and with the right guidance in this crazy industry, you will change the face of music."