Chapter Five - Better Than Her.

I walked up the path alone, the purr of Evan's still running car behind me. I was about to walk up the wooden steps when I heard the car switch off and the door opened. I stopped and looked behind me, Evan walked toward me, concern drawn on his face.

"You won't tell anyone about this will you?" he exclaimed, placing his hands on my shoulders. His eyes were dark and his face gaunt with worry.

I shook my head.

"I wish I didn't even know Evan." I replied honestly. "So I don't plan on telling anyone else. Your secret is safe with me."

Evan's hand fell to his side and he nodded. "Thank you."

I shook my head and walked up the steps.

"Not doing it for you Evan. I'm keeping your dirty secret to protect everyone else."

Evan didn't say anything else, I heard his car start as I slipped my key into the lock. I turned it and opened the door. Once I was inside the house I let out a big sigh, today had been a minefield of crazy, I wondered if maybe I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Maybe I didn't need to have a plan. So far being here had caused nothing but issues and now I had to keep a secret that in the long run would affect everyone. I closed the door and leaned up against it, assuming that I was alone. Unfortunately for me less than 30 seconds later I heard Scarlett call for me. I looked up, into the dining room where she sat with Xavier drinking what looked like whiskey.

"Good night?" She asked with a knowing grin on her face.

I held back a frown, I didn't want them asking questions, at least not questions that would point them toward the truth.

"Yeah, he took me a club, it was really nice." I replied. "I'm actually so exhausted, I need to go to bed. Thank you for dinner tonight."

"Anytime." Scarlett smiled.

I walked up the stairs listening to scarlett and Xavier murmur about the next big romance. I rolled my eyes and stopped absorbing their words. Right now, despite the evident heartache my boss had been through, I disliked him with a burning passion.

I fell asleep in my dress and heels, too tired to change out of them, which of course meant I woke in the morning feeling stale and gross. I clambered out of bed and stripped myself off, throwing my clothes into the hamper.

I walked into the ensuite and took a shower, washing the crusty makeup off my face. I dressed into work attire and walked downstairs to the kitchen to make a coffee.

Scarlett walked into the kitchen as I took my first sip.

"We can leave in five minutes." She murmured. "I just need to grab my purse."

I nodded and sat down at the breakfast bar. "I might catch the bus tomorrow." I replied.

"Oh?" She questioned. "I really don't mind taking you in. I have a very severe case of empty nest syndrome and since I've retired... I don't get out much."

I smiled and tilted my head. I hadn't about it like that.

"Okay, only if it's no hassle."

"Alice, you are far too much like Amber. I promise you, there is no hassle."

I smiled and continued to drink my coffee. I'd been told all my life how different Amber and I were. Not by family, but by friends. They always said that aside from my auburn locks, I looked liked my adoptive parents. I was shorter than Amber by a foot, though that didn't say much she was tall with a dancers figure. My hazel eyes were nothing like the blue of hers and my skin was slightly more olive. From a distance you could be forgiven for thinking that Amber and I bared no resemblance.