Chapter Twelve - Meet You It Was Nice To

It was a long shot, but maybe going out would get me out of the funk I was in. I showered and changed into pair of black jeans and a small crop top singlet that I'd bought with the intention of using for the beach in summer. I walked down stairs and told Scarlett and Xavier I was feeling a little better and was heading out, luckily they didn't question me further.

I was in a truth telling mood right now, and if they'd asked I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from blurting out everything.

"I'm not really dating Evan, we're just working together to save the company he used in a stupid bet, but we kissed earlier and now my head and heart are many many different kinds of fucked up and I need to forget everything."

No, that wouldn't be at all helpful.

I caught an uber to Greta's apartment. I buzzed in and waited for her to say something but I'd been standing there less than two seconds when the door to the building flew open and she smiled at me.

"I'm so glad you said yes!" She shrieked. "I'm going stir crazy. I made us mimosa's."

She grabbed me by the wrist and yanked me into her apartment building, closing the door behind me.

"I'm glad you offered." I murmured honestly. "I'm so overwhelmed at the moment. I need to let loose."

Greta led me up a flight of stairs and into her apartment, it was modern and bright. With all the mod cons I'd have expected from Greta. She walked into her kitchen, picked up a glass filled with orange liquid and thrust it into my hand.

"I'd have made something more fitting of a girls night, but I only had a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge." She giggled.

"It's okay, I'm not a big drinker." I offered, sipping on the sweet drink. "This is really good."

"So, I've been meaning to ask. Is there something going on between you and Evan?" she exclaimed sitting down at her table. I followed and sat down beside her.

I shook my head. "No, I'm hardly his type." I laughed, playing it off as a joke. Greta was clearly unconvinced because she raised an eyebrow and leaned back into her chair.

"You don't have to lie to me." She exclaimed. "I know you're not trying to sleep your way to the top. If there was something going on, I wouldn't judge. Evan is an attractive guy. I wouldn't blame you for tapping that."

My mouth fell open and held back a surprised laugh.

"There is nothing going on. Not like that anyway. We're working on something because we have too. It's a mess to be honest and I think I've bit off more than I can chew."

Greta frowned. "So its business... the weirdness between you two?"

"There's weirdness?" I feigned being oblivious, hopeful that she would believe me. However I could tell she didn't because her eyes softened and she tilted her head.

"Has something happened at all between the two of you?"

"No." I lied.

Greta gave me a look that told me she didn't quite believe me. She drained the rest of her drink and then stood up.

"Let's go let our hair down." She exclaimed. "A few friends of mine are meeting at this club in town, we could join them. I can tell you need a distraction."

I nodded and finished my own drink. "A distraction sounds amazing."

Greta called an uber. Just as we were about to leave her apartment she held out her hands.

"ID and credit card." She mused. "I'll keep it in my purse, less chance of losing everything."

I nodded, grateful for the peace of mind and took my cards from my wallet and handed them over.