Chapter 7

"Pwede umutang ng pera?" Page said to April a couple of days after knowing that she was coming home with June. April's eyebrows met. "Para makapag-layas ka nanaman? Page—" she said when Page cut her off. "Hindi. Pambili ng damit," Page told her. "Pambili ng damit? Diba ang dami dami ng na-ibigay si Mrs. Torres sayo?" April asked, confused. "Oo. Pero sa kanya kamo ako uuwi," Page replied. April continued to frown. She didn't understand Page's need to buy more clothes and what it has got to do with her coming home with June. "Oo, sa kanya ka uuwi. Pero bakit kelangan mo pa bumili nanaman ng damit?" She asked. "Dahil natapon ko na yung mga luma kong damit. Lahat ng damit meron ako ngayon galing lahat yun sa kanya na mga pinag-lumaan na ni Summer, na namatay na. Ayokong lumakad papasok ng bahay nya na suot suot ang damit ng pumanaw nyang anak. Ayokong maisip nya na ang pumasok sa bahay nya ay yung namatay nyang anak," Page answered. April looked at Page for a very long time. Page felt umcomfortable with April's stare, so she looked away. "So ano, pauutangin mo bako?" Page asked. "Sige," April answered, though she never planned to allow Page to pay her back. Page nodded in approval. "Sigurado ka ha. Paalala ko lang hindi ko toh mababayaran hangga't makahanap ako ng trabaho," Page said as she looked at April who smiled at her. "Well, I'm just pleased na naisip mo na kapag may work ka na mo ako mababayaran. At least di mo naisipan na mag-nakaw just to pay me back. Kaya kung kelan ka man may work, saka mo nako bayaran. ''Wag kang magnanakaw," April said with a smile. "Binigyan moko ng idea. Kung iba yun, yun na ang gagawin nila," Page said as she shook her head. April smiled again, "Well, I know you, Page de la Vega. I know you're better than that."

"Lunch tayo? I haven't had anything to eat since last night," June said as she spoke with April on the phone. "Sorry, ate. I haven't had anything to eat din eh, and I'd love to have lunch with you pero kasi kelangan ko muna mag-run ng errands then I have to go to the mall to buy clothes for Page," April said as she walked around the house. "Clothes for Page? I thought we gave her enough?" June asked. "Page doesn't want to remind you of Summer the moment she walks in sa bahay mo," April confessed. June stared at the table. "Well, she doesn't have to walk in sa bahay ko wearing Summer's clothes to remind me of my daughter," June said as she sighed. "I know, ate. I think that's why she doesn't want to wear Summer's clothes around you," April said. "Well, tama nga naman. She doesn't want to walk in in my home as Summer. She wants to walk in as Page. Okay, I'll come with you. And I'll pay for all of it," June said. "Sigurado ka ate? Hindi naman yung budget ng orphanage ang gagamitin kong pambili eh. I'll use my own money," April said. "No, no. You won't have to do that. I told you when Page is with me, she'll be treated like how I treat my own daughter. I'll pay for her needs starting now," June said. April smiled and sighed at the same time. "Salamat ng marami ate," April said. June grabbed her keys as she left the house, "No, April. Thank YOU."

The next day, April brought the clothes she bought for Page and showed it to her at the hospital. "Tatlong pair lang?" Page asked. Then she frowned. "So kelangan kada-tatlong araw, mag-lalaba nako?" She added. "Sorry, Page. Yun lang ang budget ng orphanage. Kaya nga nag-rerely tayo sa clothing donations diba?" April tried to explain. Page sighed. "Okay," she said. Then June appeared at the door after talking to the sisters. Page turned her attention towards her. "Hey, Page. How are you doing?" June asked. She leaned forward and gave Page a quick kiss on the forehead, so quick that Page didn't see it coming. Page's heart started beating fast. It made her swallow. "Okay lang," she finally managed to let out. June smiled at her. "That's good. I'm glad you're feeling better," she said as she prepared the fruits she bought for her. "Skin on or off?" June asked. "Alin?" Page asked in return. "On your apple," June replied. "Pag malinis, on. Pag madumi, off," Page answered. June looked at her, she tried to hide her smile. "Okay," she answered. "Tatanongin mo din ba ako nun para sa banana at orange?" Page asked sarcastically. "It depends. If you're someone who eats the banana and orange peel, then I'd ask you," June answered. "Okay, ayoko ng balat, for your information," Page answered. "Sure," June replied. April bit her lip and turned her head to the side as she giggled with no sound. June tried not to laugh either. "Here, finish this, so you have a lot of Vitamin C in you," June said as she placed the bowl of fruits in front of Page. "Ang OA naman nito sa dami," Page said, "hati na tayong tatlo dito," she added. "Page, that's one banana, one apple and one orange. Naka-slice lang. Hindi yan OA," June said. Page rolled her eyes. "Ate April, tulongan moko dito," she said. "No, April. Don't help her. Kaya ka may sakit kasi kulang ka sa fruits and vegetables. Kainin mo lahat yan," June said. Page sighed. Then she ate her fruits obediently. "Ooh ooh. Aah Aah," she tried to copy the sound of a monkey while she scratched her head and tummy. "Mas madami pa toh sa pinapakain sa unggoy ni mang Carding, naalala mo yun, ate April?" Page asked. April couldn't hold her laugh anymore. She nodded. "Hey, even I can still remember that. Si mang Carding was your old driver. May he rest in peace," June said as she did the sign of the cross. April laughed the whole time but she did the sign of the cross, too. "Kinumpara mo naman sa unggoy ni mang Carding eh ang liit liit nun. Eh ikaw malaki kang unggoy," June said. Page almost choked on her banana. April bursted out laughing, so did Page. June smiled proudly. She took pride that she made "stubborn little Page" laugh. Page cleared her throat and stopped herself from laughing by shoving more fruits in her mouth. "Huy," June and April said at the same time. "Mabulonan ka," they both said. Page ignored the two of them and continued to eat. She felt embarrassed to be seen laughing, but she couldn't help it. She thought June was hilarious.