Chapter 10: Mother Knows Best

Author's note: Hope you guys enjoy the latest installment of the story! Again, I apologize for taking so darn long. Keep on reading and commenting guys!

Chapter 10:

Mother Knows Best

I blinked. Really, it was the only thing I could do. How else was I supposed to react? I couldn’t really even react to begin with. My whole body just seemed to go rigid, like the very sight of her caused every neuron in my body to shut off completely. I wasn’t even thinking I was so surprised, so shocked at what I saw right there in front of me. I had heard her voice; I would have recognized that voice anywhere. Distinctive, unique, that slight sassy edge to it. No one else had a voice like hers. Hell, no one had the nerve to actually talk to me like that. Nothing seemed to stop her though, not even back when we were younger. I could feel a lump rising in my throat and I swallowed hard to keep it down, to force the words out of my mouth. “Lacey.” I breathed her name, taking in the sight of the woman before me.

The years had treated her nicely. If anything she looked more grown up, more mature. Those brown eyes I had known so well were trained on me, that familiar glint of annoyance in them, although she looked a tad more tired than I had remembered. That and she was a bit thinner too, dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a cream colored cardigan. Her hair was shorter than I remembered too, cut in a simple style that reached a little past her shoulders. Her arms were crossed tight across her chest, her eyes practically glaring into mine as she stood. “Glad to know you can at least get my name right.” She said with a soft huff of air, shaking her head. “Your other actions however… they could use some work.” I shook my head some at her, reaching up and pushing my hand through my hair.

The girl could be the sweetest thing in the world, everyone loved her really. She got along with all of my friends, my sister, my mum. But at the same time, Lacey could be one of the most stubborn girls I had ever had the pleasure of meeting. The kind of girl that stood up for what she believed in regardless of who was involved. It didn’t matter. What was right was right and what was wrong was wrong to her, hands down. And apparently, I had done something wrong. “What are you doing here?” I asked, sighing heavily moving aside to let her in.

“Take a wild guess Harry.” Lacy muttered, stepping into the apartment and turning to face me. “Why did I get a call from Simon of all people arranging a time I could come get Layla?” She asked, getting straight to the point wasting no time. I looked away, moving to the living room and flopping down on the couch, pushing my hands through my hair once more.

“Because she needs to be with her mum.” I stated simply before frowning slightly myself, turning my gaze to her. “Why did you send her here to begin with? I mean you couldn’t have called? Sent an email? Something?” I questioned, realizing I had my own questions that needed answers, that I had feelings about this that weren’t exactly great either. “I mean dropping her off to my mum’s without even telling me? You didn’t think that was something we needed to talk about? Something I should have known about when she was first born Lacey?”

I watched as her expression seemed to falter some, hardening right after as she looked away, shrugging her shoulders slightly. “So maybe I didn’t go about this the right way, but I’m trying to make it better now.” I looked at her, my expression disbelieving.

“By sending her to me? Why? What happened that you can’t take care of her anymore? I mean really Lacey, would you have even told me if you didn’t get into whatever situation you’re in now?” I questioned, the thought occurring to me. What if she hadn’t told me? What if she hadn’t sent her to live with my mother? Then neither of us would have been dealing with this at all and I wouldn’t know that I had a daughter…