II

Predictably, Jason is the first to respond to that.

"Bullshit."

Tim sighs and rolls his eyes because he's sure the reaction is more Jason being oppositional than actual doubt. They're staring at a guy that until a few minutes ago had giant black wings sprouting from his shoulders, who's been collecting suggestive art and carving a swath of hedonism across the city. They've dealt with stranger things and less plausible explanations.

"God of Love?" he inquires. "You mean, like Cupid?"

"Gaia, I hate that name. Stupid little Valentine's Day mascot. I blame the Romans. The Hellenistic was great, except for that." He waves a dismissive hand. "I mostly go by Steve these days. Cuts down on the explanation time."

Which just...what?

"Steve, the God of Love," Jason deadpans. "Because that doesn't sound like a cringy mascot at all..."

"Why are you in Gotham?" Tim asks, more direct this time.

"And what the hell are you dosing people with that they're all down to fuck without remembering it? I don't know how it works wherever you came from, but here that's assault."

"I've never assaulted anyone!" Eros protests, all wounded integrity. "If anything, I've been the one people keep jumping ever since my bow and arrows got stolen."

"Your bow and arrows? That's seriously the defense you're going with?"

"How does one steal from a god?"

"You wait until he's stoned out of his mind in an Amsterdam coffee shop and knock him out," Eros grouses. "It's either brilliance or suicidal madness. I'll decide which one after I track down the bastard that did it and give them a reminder that I'm Ares' son as much as Aphrodite's."

"Right," Tim says, raising an eyebrow. "On that note, if you've got all these divine connections, why don't you just get new weapons made?"

"If it were that simple you think I'd have dragged myself to this armpit of the universe? The bow and arrows act as a constant diviner for my abilities. It focusses them or controls them if you will. Otherwise, my powers veer wildly out of control."

"What powers?" Jason snorts. "If you had anything beyond your feathers, you wouldn't have been so useless with those mob assholes and made us do all the heavy lifting."

Eros' eyes turn hard and his lips pull into a cold smile. He reaches for Jason's face and wriggles his fingers threateningly. "Would you care to find out?"

Not wanting to give Jason a time to respond by breaking the digits in his face, Tim places himself in front of him.

"Both of you, knock it off—"

His move manages to divert the Olympian from losing fingers, but it also puts him straight in his path. Impossibly soft finger pads graze his jaw, and it is as if a current of electricity has been passed through his spine.

Tim seizes up, his brain going cloudy and his stomach suddenly hot and trembling. Sight and sound vanish or rather sharpen to a single point, the figure in front of him, and a visceral want edges out every other thought and impulse.

He is dimly aware of moving, of being rivetted at the individual motions that bring him into Eros' personal space, and which have him fixing his upon the other man's shoulders. Then he's dragging him forward and crushing their mouths together.

The taste and smell of pomegranate and ozone overwhelm him, and he doesn't wait for reciprocation before he's shoving his tongue into the Olympian's mouth, harshly trying to chase the unique flavor. All other intent vanishes in the single-minded pursuit of that goal, and he wonders if it's not just his mouth that tastes like this, if the rest of him—