Don't Punch The Protagonist

Start from the beginning

Checking my pocket watch, a fourteenth birthday present, it showed that the time was currently 2 o'clock pm. The entrance ceremony would be ending in fifteen minutes which gave me ample time to lock the door to Ophelia's room and begin the walk to the school's theater. Would it be called a theater or auditorium? Either way, it was a place where you sat and watched other people do things on stage.

There were other servants waiting in the halls leading to the auditorium as well, many of them chatting excitedly to each other. It would do good for me to make a good impression with them, but I was much more interested in waiting for one of the first events of the story to begin. I chose a spot that gave me a good view of the entrance to the auditorium, noticeable for Ophelia to notice me when she came out and quiet enough for the other servants to not know I was there. That backfired quickly because I forgot about the looks I had been blessed with from (both of) my Mother(s). I stood out like a sore thumb despite my best efforts to blend in with everyone else. I couldn't help but mentally cry as I felt the curious gazes of my peers and heard myself become the topic of some conversations.

Why couldn't I have an average appearance like so many other reincarnated people? Stop looking at me... I'm not a noble family's young miss in disguise either! Please stop making up these rumors. Why can't this damn entrance ceremony go any faster?

The first one to approach me was a blonde girl in a maid's uniform just like me. Saying 'approach' was a bit of a stretch though. It was more like slowly slide down the wall next to me like in those bad romance movies. But it wasn't down a bar and she didn't have any flirtatious intentions. She stared at me for a good couple of minutes while I pretended I didn't notice. It was probably one of the most awkward moments I'd ever had in this life. I eventually turned to look at her.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked. I wanted to literally punch myself. What a wonderful way to start a conversation. I can talk down a bunch of unruly kids but can't start a conversation. Goddammit, brain. The other maid's face went a bright red. I even embarrassed her, great. Then again, she was the one staring into my soul.

"O-oh, no! I was just um... I... I was just... I'm sorry..." Her voice got progressively quiet as she kept trying to say what she wanted to say. It was obvious this girl was either much younger than me or was extremely shy. I was leaning towards both. Speaking of which, she looked terribly familiar. Bobbed blonde hair, a blue ribbon in it, blue eyes..... Oh shit, it's the protagonist's maid, that one side character that I'm pretty sure everyone forgot about. Almost every story has that.

"It's fine. If you have something to say, I'd prefer you to say it rather than dance around the topic by staring."

"Ah! I was just wondering if you were in the wrong place..."

"Hm? I'm wearing a servant's uniform just as you are. I don't see why I'd be in the wrong place."

"W-well I mean... You don't seem like a servant..."

"How so?" I raised my eyebrow curiously. I was honestly interested in what she had to say. Other than my appearance, I believe that I'm very servant like. I've been training as one essentially my whole life to be of the most use to Ophelia and earn my keep in the Dubannes household. What about me wasn't servant like? Her face went redder.

"I guess... The way you carry yourself and way of speaking..."

"Isn't it expected of a servant to be able to hold a respectful conversation with their master and peers? And how do I carry myself?"

"T-there's a lot of confidence-"

"A person shouldn't take pride in their work?"

"T-t-that's not what I meant at all!"