A Midsummer Day's Nap (Kana and Mordecai)

It was a warm and breezy summer day. A little dragon boy found himself playing in the woods. He knew his mama would never approve, but he was sure if he just stayed on the edge of the forest...
      He got lost.
     One step too many, and Kana was turning around in circles trying to figure out which direction he came from. His confidence from before faded and turned into panic. He tried to remember what his mama had taught him about getting lost.
      "Ok..." he breathed out, trying to calm himself down. "If you ever get lost, just wait where you are until someone finds you..." he trailed off, somewhat uncertain if that was right or not.
     He glanced around and looked for any sign of where he came from or another person. Turning up with nothing, Kana carefully sat down on the ground with his knees hugged to his chest. He tried to distract himself by listening to the birds chirp and the gentle rustle of the trees. He looked up at the canopy above him and observed as individual beams of light peaked through.
     "Everything's going to be fine," he told himself. "Just fine..."
      Kana looked off again in the distance and flinched when his eyes caught a flash of blue. He sprang up off the forest floor and carefully followed after it.
      Sneaking behind each tree, he found the blue figure sitting under a tree. He couldn't quite make out who it was, but he slowly crept closer. He didn't want to give himself away if this person turned out to be a "bad guy."
      Kana stopped behind a decent sized oak tree and peered around the corner. He almost let out a gasp, but quickly covered it with his tiny hands. He peaked around again to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. Again, he whipped his head back around the tree; certain that what he saw was truly there.
     There, just mere feet away from Kana, was a Laguz! Kana had heard various comments about Laguz throughout the castle, but he didn't know they were apart of the order of heroes! In fact, all he knew was they were sort of like him; they could turn into beast!
      Kana, once again, inched his head around the tree and observed the Laguz in front of him. He had blue hair and blue ears and a tail to match it. He was much bigger than Kana, too. But despite his large size, he gave off a gentle disposition.
      Kana wasn't the only one to notice this Laguz's gentleness. Small woodland creatures approached him with ease and even crawled on top of him like he was nothing.
     There was a gut feeling that told Kana he could trust this Laguz.
     Slowly and quietly, Kana stepped out from behind the tree and made his presence known. The Laguz's Head quickly perked up as he locked eyes with the dragon boy.
     "Um.. hello..." Kana timidly introduced himself. "My name's Kana. You're a Laguz, right?" He finished sheepishly.
      The Laguz smiled upon his shy introduction.
     "Hello, little beorc. Yes, I am a Laguz. My name's Mordecai," the Laguz greeted in a thick tone. He held out his hand, which, next to Kana's, looked enormous. Kana took the Laguz's hand and shook it, still a little afraid.
     "Excuse me, but what's a beorc?" Kana asked, becoming more comfortable with Mordecai.
      "You," he said, pointing to Kana. "You are a beorc, and I am a Laguz. We Laguz call humans beorc." Mordecai's ears perked up as he explained. Kana's jaw was slightly agape as he listened.
      "You Laguz can turn into beast, right?" He asked again with a curious gleam in his eyes. Mordecai nodded as he continued.
     "Yes. I can turn into a tiger, while some other Laguz can turn into birds or dragons," Mordecai finished.
     "Dragons!?" Kana's face lit up like a match. "You mean like me? I can turn into a dragon, too!" Kana boasted. Mordecai looked at the small boy in shock. If he really could turn into a dragon, than he was nothing like the dragon Laguz Mordecai had ever seen. He was much smaller and missing the detailed symbols on his head...
     "But, you are a beorc, yes?" Mordecai asked. Kana stood and thought to himself. Was he really human? But he knew he wasn't a Laguz either...
     "I'm actually not really sure. All I know is when someone needs my help, I can transform into a dragon and save them!" He beamed. "I'll have to ask my mama about it later. She can transform, too!"
     Mordecai continued to look at the small child in confusion.
      "Can you transform into a dragon now?" Mordecai asked once more.
     "Sorry, but my mama says it's only for emergencies. If I stay as a dragon for too long, I may never be able to transform back into my human self," Kana sighed. "But I promise! When I'm out training or fighting next time, you can come see me in all my dragon glory!" Kana reassured. A smile wiped across Mordecai's face as he looked at the boy, oozing with enthusiasm. He closed his eyes and laid back against the tree, letting out a deep breath.
     "Whatcha doing?" Kana mumbled, leaning in towards Mordecai.
     "Relaxing. Enjoying nature. You can join me if you like," Mordecai answered and patted the ground beside him. Kana felt compelled to comply and took the spot beside the Laguz. He felt even smaller sitting beside Mordecai than he already did, but he also felt safe. Something about Mordecai's presence just soothed him. Kana felt no longer scared of being lost; he felt very much like he was at home. He wasn't the only one, either. More tiny woodland creatures came up and joined them.
     Kana began to relax against the tree and closed his eyes too, imitating Mordecai. In only a few moments, Kana felt sleep quickly overtake him.
     Mordecai was almost asleep too, when he felt a nudge on his shoulder. He opened his eyes for a brief moment and saw the tiny child had fallen asleep against him. He couldn't help but smile as Kana used him as a pillow. Content, Mordecai closed his eyes again and joined Kana in sleep.

                                         ***

     You sat in your study, pouring over your pile of books again. You just picked up and dusted off your book of choice when the doors to your study flew open. Dropping the book, you spun around and saw a very exasperated Corrin, panting in the doorway.
     "Summoner!" She gasped before taking a ragged step forward. "I need your help!"
     "What happened?!" You stopped Corrin from over-exerting herself any further and came to her side instead.
     "It's Kana!" She huffed. "He's gone missing!.. I can't... Find him..."
     "First, calm down," you ordered as you sat Corrin down in a chair. She obeyed and sank into the chair, panic still written across her face.
     "Where did you see him last?" You inquired, already starting to form a plan in your head.
     "I-" Corrin swallowed another breath of air before continuing. "I saw him at breakfast. I told him to behave and to stay within the castle while I went out on today's mission. Oh! I knew I should have asked someone to look after him!" Corrin scolded herself.
     "Have you tried asking anyone if they've seen him?" You further pried.
     "Yes, and no one can give me a straight answer. You're my only hope, (y/n)!" She looked up at you with tears beginning to weld in her eyes. You, yourself, found it hard to stay calm. You hated seeing anyone like this, and you constantly found yourself fighting not to take on everyone else's problems.
     "Please, (y/n), help me find Kana," Corrin took hold of your hands, tears streaming down her face.
     "I promise, we will find Kana," You squeezed her hands gently and raised her to stand up. You led her out of the library and outside of the castle where you began to search.

                                        ***

     You and Corrin had turned the castle upside down looking for Kana. You asked almost everyone, too, but to still no avail. Where could the little dragon boy have run off to? You tried to remain level-headed as to not further upset Corrin; but you, too, were starting to worry about Kana's safety.
     "I think we should check the forest," you said, standing up from a flowerbed.
     "That's our only option left," Corrin sighed. Together, the both of you slowly walked towards the forest.
     You looked around every tree and behind every rock. The forest was quite big, and you could only hope Kana didn't venture too far. A silent prayer lingered in the back of your mind that the boy was ok.
     You and Corrin had decided to split up to make searching easier. You also left a small trail of pebbles to help find your way out. You can't find Kana if you're lost, too.
     Amongst walking through the forest - your hopes at an all time low - a splash of blue caught your eye.
     You quickly stopped in your tracks and turned towards the color. Cautiously, you approached the blue figure with a tempest of emotions whirling around in your head. Out of all of them, you clung onto hope the most.
     Popping your head out from behind a tree, you saw a Large Laguz and a tiny Kana; peacefully napping together. You had summoned the Laguz, Mordecai, here only a few days ago. You were glad he was beginning to fit in, but you sure didn't expect it to be with Kana of all people. It made your heart swell with happiness, seeing them together like this.
     While you wished you could gawk at the cute scene for a bit longer, you knew there was a worried sick Corrin who needed to know her son was ok. In fact, he seemed more than ok. Was he snoring?
     You left the scene and started to call out to Corrin. She quickly came and asked about Kana. You said nothing as you pulled her to the spot where Kana and Mordecai were napping. She looked upon them with her own eyes and let out a sigh of relief.
     "Thank goodness he's ok!" She rejoiced. She looked back at them with a new found smile on her face.
     "Oh, he's so grounded."