Ch 13 - Ladies Luncheon

Start from the beginning

"It looked to me like you and the Duke had a little disagreement," she gave a small laugh, "I wondered if that was what engendered the change?"

Rosannah stared at her in shock, surely she did not think that she would discuss such things. Seeing her expression, Marchioness Insbury hurriedly intervened.

"My dear Duchess, you must not take offence. I must explain as it is your first luncheon with us; we are all married ladies, and sometimes as I am sure you are now aware, life with a husband can be ..." she made a small moue, "... trying."

Several of the ladies tittered.

"We use this luncheon as an excuse to release some of the pressure, discuss tactics and help each other. I think we can all say it has been beneficial to all of us at some point," she looked around at the other eight women who all nodded. "Do not be offended by Lady Enderly's bluntness, I believe she was only trying to help."

Rosannah silently harrumphed, there was no possibility of that being the truth.

"Well, as it is my first time, perhaps you could excuse me from divulging private aspects of my marriage?" she said sweetly. "It feels a little strange."

"Of course," the Marchioness replied, "it is unfair to expect anything else. However, if you would not object, might I suggest we carry on as normal, and then you can understand what it is we are to each other."

"Certainly," Rosannah nodded, "I like the idea of women supporting each other. It is not something I saw much of as a debutante." She turned to Lady Enderly and carried on deliberately, "Those that carry on being spiteful into womanhood surprise me, I do not understand their motivation."

Lady Enderly gave her a pinched look but said nothing.

"Well said," Viscountess Clara chimed in. Again.

"You must agree to secrecy though," the Marchioness said, "We cannot tattle about anything heard in this room."

"Absolutely not," agreed Rosannah, "I would not dream of it."

"Well ladies, does anyone have anything they would like to talk about?"

"I would not mind," Lady Hannah said in a small voice, at once all eyes turned to her. "I think Lord John is upset with me that I have not managed to conceive as yet. We have been married almost six months."

Rosannah felt sick, she did not want to talk about this subject, it was still too raw.

"How often does he visit your chamber?" Baroness Vanhorn asked bluntly. Rosannah's cheeks burned, this was more intimate than she had imagined.

"Two times a week."

Rosannah gaped at her, only two times a week. She and Henry met that number in a day.

"Only twice? I wish the Baron would reduce his visits, he comes at least four." The Baroness looked pained.

"Lord John knows I need a rest between visits, otherwise it is so painful that I cannot help but cry." Several sympathetic nods caused Rosannah to gaze around at her in wonder. She and Henry had had a bad start so she knew of the pain, but she could not imagine suffering it for six months, especially now she knew how wonderful it could be.

"I find using a bit of butter helps," Viscountess Clara said, "it makes it almost pleasant."

Several shocked faces looked at her, "Pleasant?"

"Yes, not as much as the men find it, but better. My husband also prefers the feeling."

"Butter," Lady Hannah said wonderingly.