Chapter 14: Moving On and Revelations

Everyone has gone to sleep except for Nathan and I. Nathan went upstairs to the room but I stayed behind to grab a glass of water. After washing the cup, I go to turn off the light in the kitchen, but my reflection in the window catches my attention. Staring at my stomach, I realize how much it has grown. For being my first pregnancy, my belly has grown a significant amount.

After a few seconds I turn off the light and go upstairs. Looking into the room, I see no sign of Nathan. Quickly, I walk to our bathroom to see him sitting on top of the toilet cover. I walk over and see him examining his wound.

I knock on the door and he looks up at me. His green eyes seem tired and I wouldn't blame him, after everything that has happened I'm not surprised we weren't the first ones asleep.

"You should go to bed" he says as he gets up to wash his hands.

"Not until you do the same" I say as I walk into the bathroom. He stares at me through the mirror and I stare right back. I watch as Nathan goes to clean his wound, but I go up to him and grab the washcloth. "Let me" taking the washcloth from his hand, I lead him to sit back down.

Gently I wash around the wound, making sure to not cause him any pain. What he's gone through the past 24 hours took a toll on him. The pain he's been through breaks my heart. But despite everything, he still manages to look at me and smile with eyes full of love. We've all been through a lot, but all that matters is that we're all safe.

After I finish bandaging his wound, we get ready for bed.

After what feels like an eternity I slowly walk over to the bed and lie down, covering myself with the covers. Not long after, Nathan comes to bed as well.

I lay on my side facing him and he does the same.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Is the baby okay?"

I grab his hand and bring it to my face, enjoying the warmth of his touch. "We're fine. I already made an appointment for tomorrow"

"Good."

"Nathan?" I say as I stare at him. His hair is disheveled from what the amount of times he has run his hands through it.

"I'm sorry." He avoids eye contact, but the sincerity in his voice is overwhelming.

"Nathan, it wasn't your fault"

"Doesn't matter. I should've been there"

"Nathan I love you because you're there when I need you most, not because I want someone to protect me." We lay in silence for a few seconds as the words I said sink in. I get closer to him and rest my forehead against his. "You showed up when I needed you most"

**********

I wake up to an empty space beside me. My head pounds as my eyes adjust to the sunlight entering the room.

After getting ready I make my way downstairs to see Jax and Zane in the living room. Walking in, the sound of the tv fills my ears. I scan the room to see Ailee isn't there.

I walk into the kitchen next to see Maggie already cleaning, but still no sign of Ailee.

"Larkin dear" she says as she dries her hands. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine thank you for asking Maggie...have you seen Ailee?" I ask hesitantly.

Maggie stares at me with sad eyes. She's hesitating to tell me.

"Maggie?"

"She's in her room...she refuses to leave"

"Thank you"