Chapter 12

"Where can I take you now?" Bobby asked.

"I think the Crusty Devil Saloon is right around the corner," Max said. "Take us there. We can get some drinks and figure out where to go next."

"It's getting kind of late and we don't have any leads," Sarah said. "Maybe we should get a room for the night."

"That's the last thing we should be doing right now," Max said. "Don't you understand we're in a race against time here? We've got to figure out the location of the next clue before someone else does and gets a leg up on us. I guess the only good thing about that purple robed weirdo showing up again is he took the clue with him before too many people could see it. That ought to buy us a little time to find the next clue. Although we don't know how many people already saw the clue before we did. Like your friend Pauline, for instance. Damn it, she's a riddle solving mastermind. If we don't catch up to her she's going to claim the loot before I can. Also, if that purple freak gets to the next clue before us he'll probably take it with him and then we'll be totally screwed. Who the hell is that guy anyway?"

"I am getting pretty sleepy," Dr. Octavius said. "I've pulled my share of all nighters in my day, but nowadays I find I do my best work after a full night's sleep. I say we turn in. Pauline's probably sleeping anyway. She always was a bit lazy."

"I also vote for sleeping," Maurice said with a yawn.

"Really, Maurice?" Max asked. "I thought you, of all people, would have some sense of urgency, considering it's your body on the line."

"That's true," Maurice said. "Maybe we should stay up and keep looking."

"I'm not that tired," Danielle said. "I'd like to explore this world some more. I'll stay up and help you look."

"Well maybe we should split up then," Dr. Octavius said. "Those of us who want to call it a night can rent a hotel room. Those who want to stay up and carouse can go ahead and do that. We can reconvene in the morning."

Bobby came to a stop in front of the Crusty Devil Saloon. Max, Danielle, and Maurice hopped out while Sarah and Dr. Octavius stayed on board the rickshaw.

"So, you're going to need to front us some floss to cover our expenses here," Max said. "You know, standard part of the investigation and all that."

"Fine," Sarah said with an eye roll as she handed over a couple canisters of floss. "Maurice, honey, you sure you don't want to come to bed?"

"I do," Maurice said. "I'm really sleepy. But I would feel bad letting them do all the work when it's my body. So I guess I'll force myself to stay up."

"Okay, well, feel free to come to the hotel if you get tired or if you locate Pauline. Danielle, are you going to be all right hanging out with these two wild and crazy fellows?"

"I'm sure I'll be okay," she said.

"Where will you guys be staying?" Maurice asked.

"I've got an account set up at the Galloping Centipede Inn," Dr. Octavius said. "That's where I stay whenever I'm in town, when I'm not falling asleep in my lab. Come meet us there when you're ready. Bobby, take us to the Galloping Centipede if you would be so kind."

"And then come right back here!" Max called out to him. "We may need a ride somewhere if we can figure out this clue. Also, you owe me some drinks still and I intend to collect on that debt!"

Bobby gave a wave of acknowledgment as he disappeared around the corner with Sarah and Dr. Octavius.

"Well, shall we go have a few drinks and brainstorm?" Max asked.