Spring, Day 14, Year 4

"What about fire stones?"

                Emily hums through a mouthful of watermelon. She's silent for a moment before she gives you a half-shrug. "I don't know-" she wipes the corners of her mouth, "-maybe sapphires?" You shrug. Sapphires would look amazing with his eyes, but they don't scream 'wedding ring' to you. "Or diamonds?"

                "Everybody uses diamonds!" you groan. You flop back onto the wood panels of Sophie's porch, basking in the warmth from the sun. "If I wanted the same thing everyone else has, I would've bought the Mysterious Man's ring. And have you ever wondered why all the rings he has look the same? I mean, like identical to each other. You think he buys them cheap from some store in a different city and resells them here? He'd make a killin-"

                "You're stalling," Emily cuts you off.

                "I know...I just want this to be perfect." You turn your head towards Emily and the soft smile she's giving you. Aside from Pinky, she's the only person you've told of your plans to propose. You've gone over everything with her, from the speech you plan on giving when you propose to where you're going to do it. The two of you have the entire proposal planned down to the tee...everything except for the ring. It was actually Emily who mentioned making a custom ring when you weren't satisfied with the Mysterious Man's collection. You loved the idea but couldn't for the life of you figure out what materials you wanted to use.

                "You could use a string you found in your workshop and he'd think it was perfect," Emily laughs and with how barren your mind is of ideas, you might just do that. Letting out a long sigh, you push yourself up from the warm wooden boards and observe the chicks bouncing around the yard. "Give it some time," Emily says, reaching to the bowl on the other side of her and grabbing a slice of watermelon, "you'll think of something and make a ring just as amazing as everything else you've made." She gives you a comforting smile, holding the watermelon towards you.

                "Thanks, Emily," you grin appreciatively, taking the slice from her as she finishes off her own.

                "Anytime."