Spring, Day 2, Year 1

You arrive in Portia in the Spring. The town is small and quaint and less industrial than you had imagined it to be. Presley greets you as soon as you step off the boat and helps you get settled, taking you to your pa's old workshop. He gives you a letter from your father that explains his absence, not that you expected any different, as well as his old Workshop Handbook. Presley leaves you with a smile and the task to come to the Commerce Guild the next morning after you've had time to rest from your long journey from Barnarock.

                It's a simple enough task to get your Builder's License and register your workshop with Mayor Gale, even if it does involve a bit more running around than you'd have preferred to do so early in the morning. When you return to the Commerce Guild, Presley gives you a quick overview of how the Commission Board works and presents you with your very first commission...that's immediately snatched away by an unpleasant man who pompously says something about 'playing favorites'. Presley sputters trying to persuade the man, Higgins as he's apparently called, to let you have the job, but Higgins leaves with your commission and absolutely no remorse.

                No sooner than Presley can apologize for Higgins's rude behavior do the Guild doors slam open and in saunters a rather handsome man with a voice to die for. Never mind that he doesn't seem to understand how to open doors properly, he's absolutely dreamy and you don't even try to keep your mind from filling with fantasies about this very tall, very attractive man as he speaks to Presley about some kind of bridge the Mayor has approved. You barely register it when Presley happily volunteers you for the job and the two turn to you with expecting faces. You accept the job, not entirely sure what it is you're going to be doing, and feel your heart going aflutter as the man smiles at you and thanks you. Seeming satisfied that they've found a competent builder, the man departs the Guild with a polite goodbye to you and Presley. Your eyes follow him as he leaves.

                You think you're going to like it here.