Summer, Day 15, Year 2

If Arlo's alright, you're going to kill him.

                You pace back and forth outside the clinic, muttering to yourself, mostly about how furious you are, while Dr. Xu checks on Arlo. It's his own stupid fault, you think. If he hadn't shoved you out of the way of that damned robot in Ingall's Mine, then things would be fine. Really, he only has himself to blame for not letting you into the mines to begin with. If he had just swallowed his pride and let you in and help, like you were supposed to, then maybe you could have avoided the robot altogether. You groan loudly, raking a hand over your face. You should make him sleep on the couch for a week for doing this to you.

                The clinic doors open and Phyllis peeks her head out to call you inside. You take a few deep breaths, following her into the clinic. You step inside, fully ready to lay into Arlo as soon as you get the chance. Dr. Xu smiles at you despite the obvious displeasure on your face and leads you back to where Arlo sits on one of the hospital beds.

                Whatever your previous intentions, your anger disappears as soon as you see Arlo. A dark purple bruise surrounds his left eye and you can see another forming on his cheek. And you definitely don't miss the way he winces when he inhales. Worry takes over and you're at his side in an instant.

                "How are you feeling?" you ask softly, lightly brushing your fingers across his bruised cheek.

                "Like I got hit by a giant metal claw," he chuckles, then winces. You shake your head, glad he's feeling well enough to have a sense of humor, but a bitter feeling claws its way into your stomach at his words.

                "That's what you get for trying to play hero," you joke, and Arlo doesn't miss the extra bite to your words.

                "It was going right for you-"

                "I could have handled it."

                "It's not your job to handle it-"

                "It is when someone comes to my house and specifically asks for my help," you huff out, stepping back from Arlo. He reaches out to you but you quickly fold your arms and put on your best stern face.

                "Mint wanted a builder's opinion on the tremors. Not to help fight a robot," Arlo argues.

                "And how was I supposed to give my opinion on the tremors when you had someone posted outside to make sure I couldn't go in?"

                Arlo rolls his eyes and your frustration instantly turns to full blown anger.

                "It was too dangerous and you're not trained-"

                "I wasn't trained when I fought the Bandirat Prince."

                "That wasn't-"

                "Or when I fought the Rat King."

                "Sam was with-"

                "And I certainly wasn't trained when I won the last two Martial Arts Tournaments. One of which was against you." That makes him go quiet and for a moment you feel a bit guilty. Arlo gives a long sigh, slowly pushing himself to his feet.

                "I know you can handle yourself," he says, taking a small step towards you, "I just don't want you to be put in danger if it can be helped. You get yourself into trouble quite often, you know," Arlo chuckles. He steps towards you until he's close enough to sets his hand on your waist. You roll your eyes, but there's no malice behind it. He's right, to some extent; you do tend to end up in precarious situations. "I want to keep you safe, and not just because it's my job. I don't care much for seeing someone I love get hurt."

                It's your turn to sigh as you uncross your arms, setting your hands on either side of his face. "I know you mean well but I'm a Builder. Sometimes I might have to deal with more than what's expected and if you want to help that's fine, but you can't keep me from doing my job." You lean your forehead against his, arms winding around his neck.

                "I'm sorry-" he starts but you quickly cut him off with a light kiss.

                "Don't be sorry," you smile, "just...next time I have dangerous job, believe that I can handle myself. And trust that if a job is too dangerous for me, you'll be the first person I come to for help...After you've had time to recover, of course. Until then, I'll be bringing Sam or Remi along with me." You give him a teasing wink and Arlo exhales, with a look that you would almost call pouting, but of course the stoic Captain of the Civil Corps would never pout.

                "Come on," you laugh, unwinding your arms from his neck and grasping on of his hands, weaving your fingers through his, "let's get you home."