Luka had this inticing, yet terrifying aura around him that seemed to suck you in and hold you captive if you weren't careful. He'd always been like that, even when we were younger.

"I want you to be my beta."

My mask dropped for a split second, startled by the sudden request. I was quick to fix it, but I was still internally panicking.

"What?"

"I want you to be my beta," he repeated again, leaning back in his chair as if he hadn't just dropped a bomb on my ass. "But that can't happen until you learn how to control yourself."

Beta. I couldn't be a beta. Beta's where dominant wolves with way too much responsibility. Being a beta would mean I'd have to spend more time with Luka. Being a beta meant that I'd have to keep up this act times one thousand and I wasn't sure if i could keep it up under that pressure. I was not a Beta. Nor would I ever be one.

"I won't be your beta," I denied him, trying to glare, but when he met my eyes, I instantly averted my gaze. "Choose someone else, someone who'll do better than me."

"There is no one better than you," Luka shook his head and I felt my heart flutter. It was a compliment. "You're my best fighter and therefore, I want you by my side and helping to defend the pack."

"There's more to it than fighting," I argued stupidly as though he didn't already know that.

"And I have no doubt that underneath your frozen skin, there's an intellegence just waiting to be shown if given the chance."

No. Underneath my frozen skin is a broken omega who doesn't need to be shown anywhere. Ever.

"I can't. Choose Tao. He's a good fighter, he's smart too. He's your full package." Not me.

Nick sighed, seemingly impatient. "Ten years you've been here Amari, since you were a pup. I've watched you waste your talents and cave in on yourself without showing any interest or passion at all. This position is a rank up in status and also a chance for you to do something other than beat the enforcers half to death. Think about it. Your eighteenth birthday is in three days. I want an answer by then."

I turned to older man with furrowed eyebrows. He was just an older version of Luka. The same golden brown hair but streaked grey around his forehead. The same square features though his jaw sported a lengthy beard. He had laughter lines around his blue eyes and forehead giving him a friendly, santa-like look.

I opened my mouth to complain, but he cut me off with a small growl. He may look like santa, but he was an alpha through and through. "I won't argue with you Amari. Three days."

"Amari," Luka called my name and I swallowed hard. My name on his tongue sounded like a curse. Turning back to him, I tried to look annoyed but I knew I failed miserably.

He smirked, the left side of his lips curving up. "Tonight, we'll be on border control together. I expect to see you, shifted and waiting for me at eleven. Understand?"

No. I didn't understand. There was no way in hell I was shifting. I hadn't shifted for ten years and I wasn't starting now. Not even for him.

"Amari, understand?" He leaned forward, his voice dropping a few octaves. It was his wolf. I watched as his blue eyes swirled silver, revealing Izaak's presence.

I had no choice but to yield before the alpha, Raven whimpering at the sight of the controlling glare. "Yes," I answered quietly, even though I really didn't want to, no, couldn't follow his instructions.

"Good," his eyes returned to their startling blue, breaking the spell and I felt anger well up inside me. He was an asshole for trying to control me like that. I wasn't weak, I hated that he made me feel weak.