"But anyways," he said, cheering up again, "That's not why I came today. I came to ask if you'd like to come outside today."

Did Rui not understand the gravity of his situation? I couldn't leave, and asking and getting my hopes up hurt. 

"Do my words not stay in your head?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "I am the Priestess. I can't leave here whenever I want—I'm not a stray cat."

"Hah, you're implying I'm a stray cat?"

"That's what you called yourself yesterday."

"Yes, but that doesn't matter. We simply don't have to let anyone know."

"That's not the point--" I argued.

"Or," he said, a smirk forming on his face, "are you perhaps afraid?"

I opened my mouth, at a loss for words. Something about him irked me. I was the Priestess. Never had anyone shown me such disrespect.

"Me? I'm not afraid. At most I would get a scolding and tighter security, but I don't know about you. After all, I am a Priestess and hold divine power, they wouldn't dare hurt me."

"Then I'm the Priestess's precious friend: they wouldn't dare hurt me too," he said with a wink.

I laughed aloud, and then shook my head at the sudden surprise of laughing out loud, something that I hadn't done in years. I had forgotten I was capable of doing so, and my laughter was so carefree it was almost unrecognizable.

"I didn't know you could laugh," he said, looking pleased with himself.

"It might come as a surprise to you but I'm human too," I said, but I was smiling.

"Then you have to come and see the outside!" I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, but no matter what, that is simply one thing I cannot compromise on. I need the Emperor's permission." I slowly sat back down at my seat and looked at my untouched breakfast. "I'm responsible for the fortune and future of this nation. I cannot be as irresponsible as to abandon my responsibilities for fun."

He slid in at the chair across from me, which was never used, as I rarely had guests who would sit down and face me. Yet there he was, my first guest, although a secret, still smiling.

"If it's safety you're worried about, I can assure you that you'll be safe."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why? Do you know how to fight?"

He grinned. "Not me, but I have a friend who does. They're perhaps the best warrior in the Capital, from the Hu clan. And in case that is not enough, I also know the youngest man to have passed the imperial tests. With a group like this, you'll have nothing to fear."

"Hmm." I inspected him from up to down. He was still dressed in his ordinary clothing. I couldn't imagine what he possibly was. Not an eunuch, not a soldier, most likely not a scholar, and yet he claims to have friends of such high status?

"I can't say unless I see them for myself." 

"Are you saying you don't trust me?"

"I just can't imagine why in the world you'd have friends of such, well, capacity and artistry." Then I put on a solemn face and lowered my face. "Besides, Rui—who exactly are you? Because I know you're not a messenger."

His face turned serious too, reflecting mine.

"And why would you think that, Lady Li Xiang?"

"Messengers don't sneak into a Priestess's room and know soldiers and scholars. Lest of all, they aren't young boys who go around climbing around on the veranda."

His jaw tensed up and there was silence in the room. I could hear the distant chirping of the birds outside and the rustling of the leaves.

"Would you believe what I say?"

I looked at him. He was looking right back at me.

"Yes," I said.

"I'm the person who will change your fate."

I let the words settle in for a bit before I sighed in defeat.

"Fine." I turned my head, trying to keep my anger from showing. "If you insist on staying enigmatic, then be it. I'm the fortune-teller, after all."

He leaned back in his seat and his face relaxed again, and a corner of his lips curved upwards.

"Then can I continue visiting you?"

"I don't mind," I answered, "but I will not leave the room."

"Unless you meet those friends of mine."

"I—"

"You said it." I grimaced.

"I suppose." He relaxed and returned to his usual self.

"Lady Li Xiang," he said as he stood up from his seat, "don't forget your promise. After all, I kept my end of the promise."

I couldn't find it in me to protest.

Then, just like he came from the veranda, he slipped away again.

I sat there in a daze, looking at the scenery outside.

Had there ever been a time when I wanted something? How strange. It felt as though it had been so long since I last felt something. Yearned for something so deeply. 

And yet I was rejecting it so strongly.

And I couldn't understand why myself.