Sylphrenia was confused. "What happened?"

Jane humphed, looking at her. "I tried asking my mom to use her magic to make me look beautiful. She said no."

Syl turned to Mal, raising her eyebrow. "Huh." She walked over to her desk, setting her book bag down by it and sitting in the chair.

Evie held up the dress she'd been sewing. "Mal? Do you like?"

Mal looked up. "Yeah. It's cute. It brings out your eyes," she said.

"I know," Evie said, smiling. Sylphrenia rolled her eyes and and produced her clearence papers. She swiped a pen from her desk and signed paper. With a final flourish, she set the pen down and straightened the papers.

"Here," she told Jane, handing the bundle to her.

Jane reached out, grabbing the papers and taking in the bolded letters reading CLEARENCE OF ASSEMBLY at the top. "Thanks," Jane said. "Syl, do you think a boy will ever like me?" she asked as she stuffed Syl's papers into her bag.

Sylphrenia looked at her. "Boys are stupid. Just smile at one and they'll worship you." She sat back down at her desk.

"Easy for you to say," Jane muttered. "I'll never get a boyfriend." She flopped down on Evie's bed.

"Boyfriend are overrated," Mal said.

"And how would you know, Mal?" said Evie. "You've never had one."

"It's 'cause I don't need one, E," said Mal. "They're a waste if time. Syl, she understands me." Syl nodded in agreement

Evie gasped. "I forgot to do Chad's homework!" She stood up. "Oh, no. Oh no, no, no, no, no!" She grabbed Chad's backpack and sat it against her desk, rifling through it frantically.

Syl looked up incredulously. "You're doing what?"

There was a knock at the door, and Lonnie stepped into the room. She was wearing a pink floral shirt with a pink sash and a short teal skirt. "Hey, guys! I'm Lonnie! Oh, hey, Sylphrenia, you ready for my lesson tomorrow?"

Syl nodded. "Of course." One of her favorite pastimes was swordplay, and a few years back, Lonnie had asked to be taught, since she one day wanted to join the ROAR team. She needed to improve her skills with the sword before she could try out because there was a policy against girls joining. One that they both agreed should be abolished. Ever since, they had been tentative friends.

"My mom's Mulan...?" she said, turning her attention back to Mal and Evie, who were looking at her. They gave her blank stares. "No? Anyways!" said Lonnie. "I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us. And we'll, you're evil... But do you think you could do mine?" Syl looked at Jane's hair, noticing for the first time that it was indeed different.

Mal scoffed. "Why would I do that for you?" she asked.

"I'll pay you fifty dollars," said Lonnie, holding out a silk bag of money.

"Good answer," said Evie, standing and taking the bag. "I need to buy more material." She squinted at Lonnie and started talking about hair. Sylphrenia was studying Mal. Surely she wasn't going to...

"Um... no, no. I want it cool," said Lonnie. "Like Mal's!"

Mal looked at Lonnie, and Evie laughed. "Really?" She asked. "The split ends, too?"

Mal rolled her eyes and put down her pencil. She pulled out her spell book. Sylphrenia was aghast. She was blatantly using magic in front of others! The council would have a field day with this.

Mal flipped through her book. "Okay... Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair," she said. With a few swipes of Mal's finger, Lonnie's bob transformed into long soft brown locks.

Syl relaxed in the chair, grateful it was merely a simple switching spell. Sometimes changes to someone could go... badly. Glamours or illusions were far safer.

Lonnie checked herself our in the mirror and frowned.

"I know, I know," said Evie, going over to her. "It looks like a mop in your head. Let's cut it off, later it-"

"No, no, no, no, no,!" said Lonnie. "I love it." She smiled, stroking her hair.

"You do," said Evie.

"It's just..." She tied her skirt up the side. "Now I'm cool," she said.

"Like ice," said Mal, flashing her a smile.

"Helps maneuverability as well," added Syl. "Now if you just stopped wearing skirts and wore pants instead..." she trailed off.

Lonnie rolled her eyes at her. "Just because I want join ROAR does not mean I'm not allowed to want to wear pretty things." She turned back to the mirror, admiring herself. "And besides, you wear dresses too."

Jane stood up and joined her before ripping her skirt as well. She instantly gasped. "What did I just do?" Jane cried. "Mom's gonna kill me!"

And with that, the whole room burst out laughing, with Syl hesitating before joining in. She enjoyed having company. Maybe this was what it was like to not be alone.