Pt. 9

It's four already, I'm overdued. Denver is probably on his way over here.

"We leave now." I grab Finley's hand, guiding her through the pack of students towards the exit. "Isn't that him?"

"Yep," we turn around to the way we came. My god, my heart is thumping out of my chest. We thought about going back to the classroom but the teacher had left. "Jesus," Finley said as Denver turned around the corner, asking a teacher for me.

I push ourselves into the bathroom. We're both panicking. Finley turns the faucet on to drown out our panicked breaths. "We need an excuse. We asked for more time in the exam. That'll work."

"Then we had to use the loo, right? He won't be mad. What about leaving?"

"We're going to have to figure it out later. At the gadering. I forgot about that. Come to the gadering and everyone will be there. We can leave then." I shut up when Denver's voice boomed beyond the door, making a shout. "Roselle, who are you in there with?"

"With my best friend! Give me a second." I shouted like if I was caught unguarded. Finely nods and fixes her hair. I peak through the side of the door to see him, he leaned against the wall, arms crossed.

Some of the female teachers were checking him out from the office across from him. "hmph," he huffs when he notices the eyes on him.

I shook my head. "I wouldn't blame them, he's very handsome and look at his clothes." Finley whispered and made me look at her funny.

We both went outside and met with him.

"Why are you hollering my name like that? You startled me." I told him while he formed a guilty smile. "Makes me sound overpowered. Nice to see you again, darling." He changes his attention from me towards Finley.

He took her hand then gave it a soft sounding kiss, it made her eyeballs water.

"So anyway, let's go home, supper is ready. And we have lot of things for tomorrow."

"Umm see goodbye, Roselle." Finley waves since Denver literally forced me in front of him. "I can't wait to hear this excuse." He whispers on my earlobe and sent chills down my spine. "That exam was difficult, love. What do you expect me to do, not pass it?" I said as calmly as possible.

Denver shrugged.

When we got to the mansion, all were maids decorating. "Master Denver, Madam Roselle, the guests list are complete. Should we allow access to the second floor?" Jana said. My mouth automatically opened at the sound the gates being open.

"Of course, second floor is available to guests, except the west wing and third floor." The west wing is where our private living space is. The third floor though, the attick, it's terrafying. Plus I can't get in without a key. "But, I want guards at the west wing at all times. Same on the gates..." he grins at me.

My happy smile faded. "Just in case you get any ideas, my love." I think I growled when he walked away. Oh, baby, IT IS ON.

His peacefully sleeping self rushed anger to my nerves. I watch him. Thinking of what to do to him. I can't handle another smack from him.

Quietly, I slide the fencing sword out of it's case. Only the moonlight shining through the window gave me enough to see what I'm doing. Clutching the sword exactly how I was told, the blade hovered over Denver's head. Just inches off his skin.

Hurt him-hurt him, before he hurts you...

The blade rose, until I was certain that if I bring it down it'll slice his head in half. The beating of my own heart is pounding on my eardrums. "I can't," I mumbled quietly. I can't bring myself to do it.

I'm not a killer, I can't even harm an insect....and I love him.

"Everything looks splendid! Now everyone get ready and take your places." Denver watches the maids line up on the entrance. "You look beautiful, Roselle, may I?" He knelt down in front of me to fix the bottom of my ball gown.

Then plucked a curl of my updo to watch it bounce. "There," he locks our gloved hands together and walked to the front steps. "Open the gates." He commanded, nodding to the guards.

A second later we watch carriages come in. The taps of the horse's hoofs. Then one on one, our guests came about.

"Mum! Dad!" I run over to them, "you actually came." I like what they're wearing, it's the first time I ever see them wear fancy clothing. "Hello sweetie. Denver..." they shake hands with my husband.

"Looking sharp, mister and misses Barrington. Welcome."

"Thank you. We'll see you inside." They head off, dissapearing into the party. After a while, we joined in the party and mingled with a bunch of boring men.

Well, this whole thing is just a bunch of nobles drinking scotch. There were a few kids running around as well, braking everything, driving the maids insane.

Where is my best friend! I've been pacing for a while in the entrance. "Madam, you should head inside, it's chilly." The guard said.

A few snowflakes were falling. I kept watching the gate, they're open but heavily guarded on the other side. Why is the mansion so far away from it?

"Notify me if Finley Connelly comes in."

"Yes ma'am," I went back inside. I'm escaping tonight, I don't care. I'm taking my and Finley with me. As I waltz through the ballroom in search of my parents, I finally lock eyes on them.

But then I realized they're mingling with Denver on the side of the snack table. Abort. I waltz away, crashing onto a man and woman. "I apologize," I said. They chuckled, saying it's ok.

"You're mrs. Lavoís, hello! You look offly young." The man said looking me from head to toe. "I'm sixteen." I told her and her face scrunched.

"Are you happy with Mr. Denver?"

I froze. Do they know about Denver's abusive side? Do they want to help me? Still I didn't say a word. And my apparent silence was a no to the couple, they come closer to me. "No, I'm not, I'm scared." I chirp.

"Do you want to leave?"

"Yes," I said immediately. Leaving with a couple strangers, it's still better than this. "Please take me away, I can't take it." I give them my hand.

We calmly walk out the ballroom, frim walking, to sprinting outside. "You're gonna be ok." The woman says. Just as the doorman brings up their carriage, another one arrives.

Finley

She gets off, stumbling over her gown. "This might be the shortest party you've ever been on, Fin." I grab her arm, taking her to the couples carriage. "We're leaving with them?"

"Yes, just c'mon, Denver is probably looking for me."

"What about your parents?"

I swallow, "I'll send e'm a letter with my new location and they'll come." The doorman closes snaps his fingers so the guards could light the way. "Keep your head low, they'll recognize you." Finley whispered. I cover my face and pretend to be asleep on her shoulder.

"Have a good night folks," Heavy breaths left my lungs after we passed the bars. Finley laughed and hugged me.

STOP THAT CARRIAGE!

A cold chill ran down all our spines. The guards hault the horses to a stop, I start panicking. "Step out, please." Three guards circled as Denver speed walked toward me. His furious face let alone can terrify queen Victoria and her kingdom.

"What do you think your doing with my wife, huh?" He puched the man square in the face. "You were going to take her from me? You got nerve to even talk to her!" The man fell after that last punch.

"Oh my, stop!--" Denver smacked the woman hard once then turned to me. "And you! You are so close to seeing my bad side. You don't want to see my bad side, do you love?" His fist wrapped around my throat, shouting if I wanted to see him mad.

If this isn't his bad side, God help me.